Where to ride this weekend

Going out with my buddy this weekend to try out a KTM 300 XCW.  He suggested we hit Rampart, but I was curious if anyone had better suggestions.  I'm open for anything within 2 hours of the front range. Never ridden out here open to all suggestions.  This will be my first time riding a bike in 10 years

Rampart has some great trails, but tends to be something of a zoo on weekends -- especially as Labor Day approaches. There are shorter trail systems within the 2-hr circle, but none nearly as extensive Rampart.

What part of the metro area would you be leaving from?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrgem said:

Rampart has some great trails, but tends to be something of a zoo on weekends -- especially as Labor Day approaches. There are shorter trail systems within the 2-hr circle, but none nearly as extensive Rampart.

What part of the metro area would you be leaving from?

NW Aurora, 6th/225

7 hours ago, coloradodirtbag said:

I'm open for anything within 2 hours of the front range. Never ridden out here open to all suggestions.  This will be my first time riding a bike in 10 years

This criteria "could" limit your options... just fyi.  I might suggest Rainbow Falls or the Westcreek/717 jeep roads to get back in the saddle.  Unless you've been racing mountain bikes for the last 10 years or something similar ;)

Both typically have less potential for the 'zooness' mg speaks of.  Although a VERY early or VERY late ride may be your ticket as well to help avoid said zoo.  There's also options like Cascade, Cen City or Rollins (but think some I-70 traffic) which are more 4x4 systems.  Or there's a number of "closed course" options within 2 hours as well if that peaks your interest.

You have a lot of choices actually... but they will get narrowed down quickly based on how well you (and buddy?) ride and what you're really looking for.

Couple of suggestions for you:

Captain Jack's near CO springs just re-openned and is gonna be less than 2.5 hours.

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/colorado_14753/ride_1891.htm

Rainbow Falls, north of Woodland Park actually links into the Rampart network and Divide/717 is just west of Rainbow Falls. 

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/colorado_14660/map_42b4.htm

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/colorado_14753/ride_1891.htm

Both are good areas with a variety of terrain. 

I ride Boulder, Gilpin and Clear Creek Counties quite often, starting in Nederland -- (West Magnolia) and running all the way down to Central City, Idaho springs, etc.

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/colorado_02791/ride_58c7.htm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoJax said:

This criteria "could" limit your options... just fyi.  I might suggest Rainbow Falls or the Westcreek/717 jeep roads to get back in the saddle.  Unless you've been racing mountain bikes for the last 10 years or something similar ;)

Both typically have less potential for the 'zooness' mg speaks of.  Although a VERY early or VERY late ride may be your ticket as well to help avoid said zoo.  There's also options like Cascade, Cen City or Rollins (but think some I-70 traffic) which are more 4x4 systems.  Or there's a number of "closed course" options within 2 hours as well if that peaks your interest.

You have a lot of choices actually... but they will get narrowed down quickly based on how well you (and buddy?) ride and what you're really looking for.

Hah! Great minds think alike. 

We both came up with the same suggestions!

That Kingston peak is fun. A good buddy of mine lived up there and we would ride out of his house by Pickle gulch and work our way to Lochlomand, do some fishing after hiking down, which wasn't bad but walking up sucked, lol. Then make the trek back to his house for some Fat Tire....

are you two guys going to share the 300 XCW?  or do you have two bikes to ride? 

If just trying out his bike, I think Rampart is fine since you arent going to cover lots of miles while friend sits back at the parking lot.

I could also suggest down by Gulches and 717 if you are taking a single bike.  Takes about 1.5 hours to get to Westcreek if you drive through Sedalia and then down Hwy 67.  There you can try forest service roads, 4WD roads down Gulches and also some single track and certainly less crowded than Rampart.  Look at the MVUM maps to see 4WD, ATV and single tracks available down there.

Rollins Pass/Mammoth Gulch Road (Kingston Peak) are also decent suggestions as you can reach via Coal Creek Canyon (hwy 72) and stay away from I70 but these are going to be just forest service roads and 4WD roads.  I think there might be one single track off Rollins (but that might be west side).  This area is more representative of the rocky terrain that you get in Colorado.  The trouble with Rampart and less so with Gulches/717 is that they have lots of decomposed granite (i.e. deep dry gravel) that is not typical of what you get elsewhere in Colorado so perhaps some of your impressions of the 300 XCW will be skewed by the unusual terrain.

1 hour ago, SilvFx said:

If just trying out his bike, I think Rampart is fine since you arent going to cover lots of miles while friend sits back at the parking lot.

I could also suggest down by Gulches and 717 if you are taking a single bike.  Takes about 1.5 hours to get to Westcreek if you drive through Sedalia and then down Hwy 67.  There you can try forest service roads, 4WD roads down Gulches and also some single track and certainly less crowded than Rampart.  Look at the MVUM maps to see 4WD, ATV and single tracks available down there.

Rollins Pass/Mammoth Gulch Road (Kingston Peak) are also decent suggestions as you can reach via Coal Creek Canyon (hwy 72) and stay away from I70 but these are going to be just forest service roads and 4WD roads.  I think there might be one single track off Rollins (but that might be west side).  This area is more representative of the rocky terrain that you get in Colorado.  The trouble with Rampart and less so with Gulches/717 is that they have lots of decomposed granite (i.e. deep dry gravel) that is not typical of what you get elsewhere in Colorado so perhaps some of your impressions of the 300 XCW will be skewed by the unusual terrain.

We're going to swap back and forth between his wife's 250 atv and the 300. No single track this time around :( 

I was thinking rollins pass area as well.  I've taken my 4runner back there a few times to Chinns and Loch Lomond so I know the area somewhat.  When everyone calls Rampart a zoo on the weekends what can you compare that to? I'm a boarder in the winters, I consider Breck/Keystone a zoo every weekend, but Rampart is so much more vast I can't picture it getting that crowded. 

1 hour ago, coloradodirtbag said:

We're going to swap back and forth between his wife's 250 atv and the 300. No single track this time around :( 

I was thinking rollins pass area as well.  I've taken my 4runner back there a few times to Chinns and Loch Lomond so I know the area somewhat.  When everyone calls Rampart a zoo on the weekends what can you compare that to? I'm a boarder in the winters, I consider Breck/Keystone a zoo every weekend, but Rampart is so much more vast I can't picture it getting that crowded. 

In a nut shell, tight single track trails and inexperienced riders on bikes and quads going both directions on every trail.  Then add in a few guys that ride fast in the mix, and things get chaotic.

2 hours ago, coloradodirtbag said:

Nothing like the zoo that is skiing....not even close.  But, you will find plenty of people in the parking areas, some camping and a whole variety of riders.  All trails are two way.  The tougher they are the fewer people on them.  Need to be aware of oncoming traffic and blind corners because there could be someone up around a blind corner.  Honestly I would be more concerned on an ATV as there isnt room on the trails to move over easily on an ATV.  On a motorcycle, just pull to the side as you are passing oncoming traffic.  Use hand signals to show how many behind you etc.

On Rollins Pass and Mammoth Gulch Rd (which leads to the north end of Kingston Peak), just remember the OHV parking is at the base of Rollins Pass and no unplated ATVs/motorcycles are allowed on the dirt road from Rollinsville to the base of Rollins Pass.  Mammoth Gulch Road (which starts at about where the 2-3 building town of Tolland is located) ATVs/OHVs are allowed.  A deputy sheriff for the county used to live right there in Tolland (and may still) and would stop & ticket unplated riders.

based on you answer above, I would be more likely to do Gulches/717 or Rollins/Kingston Peak.  Kingston Peak can be pretty darn rocky and difficult for someone who hasnt ridden in awhile and definitely for a newbie.  Definitely some sections are not for beginners (and I know you arent a beginner based on your other thread that you started asking about which bike is right for you.

4 hours ago, SilvFx said:

+1 for the west side of the 717 loop- Sportsman road and the gulches (Metberry, Longwater and Hackett), 735, 731 all are rarely traveled. I'd also enter from the Westcreek side and take Stump road to 360, which turns into CR51 or Cedar Mountain Road. 

• Like 2

Labor Day weekend guaranteed to be a zoo there. watch blind corners. I'll be in California that weekend. have fun. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 0:53 PM, coloradodirtbag said:

I consider Breck/Keystone a zoo every weekend, but Rampart is so much more vast I can't picture it getting that crowded. 

You have no idea. I consider it to be dangerous on weekends. Too many people celebrating their "Freeness" if you get my drift.

Hmmm...

The hare scrambles I race in aren't near as crowded as a Summit County ski hill on a winter weekend.  Lol.  A Rampart weekend ride is like a day of solitude compared to that  :lol:

Gotta keep things in perspective, ya know :ride:

That being said, the blind corners and 2-way traffic is what sends most to the ER.  Just be (very) aware and (try) to stay in control and you'll have a good chance of staying out said ER. ;)

7 hours ago, kashtyaatsi said:

OP I will be riding with a less experienced rider on 717 this Saturday. We'd always welcome a couple more.

https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1237210-Colorado-Meet-Up-and-B.S.

My buddy actually just bailed on me.  I called around a few places in the metro and came across this ad . 145/day for a SXF-450, not my ideal bike, but its better than nothing.  I was either going to take it up Kingston Peak or try to attend the meet up if that's cool? What do you guys think I should do?

My buddy actually just bailed on me.  I called around a few places in the metro and came across this ad . 145/day for a SXF-450, not my ideal bike, but its better than nothing.  I was either going to take it up Kingston Peak or try to attend the meet up if that's cool? What do you guys think I should do?

That sucks. Well if you still go out I'd join you. Not sure if jax is still wanting to go out.

8 minutes ago, kashtyaatsi said:

That sucks. Well if you still go out I'd join you. Not sure if jax is still wanting to go out.

Pm's sent.  Hitting Westcreek / Gulches / 717 area for anyone else that wants in.  Just contact me.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1