How to mellow out 2017 350 xc-f

I am a smaller guy at 160-165 without gear coming from a 2006 CRF250x with the standard mods (air box, jetting, pipe, wire) and I ride woods and do the D36 hare scrambles as a C rider.  Just road Argyll on the new bike and I know I need to get use to it but it felt like a handful and couldn’t imagine having to man handle that thing for 2 hours during a race.  It was lots of power with just a little throttle turn and didn’t like the lugging my old bike was very forgiving with.  I had a rekluse on my 250x and until I figure this new bike out not sure where to go.  I would give up top end in a second as high speed is not my riding style if that come into play.  Any suggestions from the hare scramble/woods guys on that bike (specifically 2017 as I  know they have don’t lots of changes to it from previous years).

Edited by rwensmann

I had a 17 FX350 with a Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 . Don't bother with a flywheel weight. Have you used the map switch with traction control enabled? It softens up the bottom end hit. Try that out first. The other thing is to swap the 14 tooth front out with a 13T. Lastly try a G2 throttle setup with the mildest cam.

Eventually I just swapped to the 250 XCF and it has plenty of power and doesn't wear you out as fast. It probably puts out as much power as the 13-15 350's..........

Edited by THUMPERRIDER1
  • Like 1

I have tried the 17 250 xcf because that is what we got for my son.  Riding his bike is what really got me second guessing my choice but I think with seat time and the Rekluse I ordered and should have on this weekend I will be fine.  I did not try the traction control at the track but will do that next time out.  Unfortunately we are in red sticker season not many areas other than tracks to get much single track seat time without driving 4 hours (tree hugging state of CA).    It is a bit much going from 27-58hp, carb to fuel injection, mechanical clutch to a hydraulic clutch, those things give it such instant impact and punch it is unreal when coming from an older bike.

12 hours ago, rwensmann said:

I have tried the 17 250 xcf because that is what we got for my son.  Riding his bike is what really got me second guessing my choice but I think with seat time and the Rekluse I ordered and should have on this weekend I will be fine.  I did not try the traction control at the track but will do that next time out.  Unfortunately we are in red sticker season not many areas other than tracks to get much single track seat time without driving 4 hours (tree hugging state of CA).    It is a bit much going from 27-58hp, carb to fuel injection, mechanical clutch to a hydraulic clutch, those things give it such instant impact and punch it is unreal when coming from an older bike.

Being a first time rider at 57 I too have been working at taming my 17 350 xc f. Love the bike, but just needed to settle it out a little for this newbie. I opted for a 13 t front sprocket to start with which helped a bit with flameouts. Geared to  high for the tight single track i ride. Next the Rekluse core....prob best mod money I spent on her. Allows you to run a gear or so higher if wanted which helps.and no flameouts!! You will love it! I also installed a throttle tamer and checked the TPS which I believe is set at .53? I have heard that running a little richer will take a little edge off of things also. I'll make that adjustment next week when I'm installing my weighted flywheel which showed up in the mail today from Steahly. I don't think there are any other bases to cover other than these. You being more of a rider than me.....the Rekluse should do ya. Enjoy

I feel you. 155 lbs here and I chose to ride a 350 SXF. 

Ive tried every possible combination on my 2013 350 and it helped me prepare to setup my 2017. 

Basically, the two maps are a bit of an illusion and misunderstood. Even if you want to go easier on the power, Map-2 is the best. That's because it's more direct and feels telepathic, not more powerful. 

The slower throttle cam is a good match for Map-2 and gives you a wider range of throttle adaptability. However, you should still try the quicker cam on less challenging courses where you can ride faster, just to help you mentally tame the beast. 

If you want to choke it a bit, you can use one or two sand filter bags on top of your filter. They're cheap enough to experiment. 

The topic of final drive is a iffy one that only comes down to personal preference from a truckload of experimentation. That could be costly. 

Personally, I like a higher ratio so that I can stay in a gear longer and keep it revving in the range of 50% to 75%; with provisions for topping it out when needed. So I use a -1 tooth on the rear. 

Others prefer the opposite, so they can hit the powerband quicklier and shift more often. Which is what I like on my superbike. 

I put a 13 tooth front on and it helped flaming out and I put the idle up a bit. 

I still find it just very responsive/jerky in first but you got to remember it's a motorcross bike and you need to be on the clutch in the slow stuff. On a side note the clutch pull is allot heavier than the excf 

Still in love with it. Would love a rekluse one day. 

Inlumo funny you mention map2 my son actually said his 250 felt better and less bog on the low end in map2.  In my mind the last thing I needed was more power so I didn't try it and wished I had after talking with him on the ride home.  I will try just the Rekluse first before doing anything else as it really does change woods riding and I wanted that no matter what.  I was just trying to delay spending more money after buying the bike.  The 250 came with the black cam installed and the 350 had the grey (less aggressive) so I am not sure how much more the G2 will help but I will keep that in mind.  

Rdway60 curious to see what you think of the flywheel, that will be my last attempt if needed as it appears you need to epoxy that on and there is no turning back after that.  Hoping my next purchase for the 350 will be a steering stabilizer before our first race, got use to that on the old bike and hoping to not spend much more on getting it ready before Sept. 30th.

Edited by rwensmann

The 13T helps but it won't give you what you are looking for. I did not like map 2 with the black throttle cam. To me it made it run like an old XR. I have not tried the Rekluse but many have recommend it. Please update us after you install it and test it out. I am curious as to your impression as I feel the same as you do in that you can't lug the bike and ride it a gear high. 

I will be playing with the Vortex ECU next to see how I can adjust the power delivery.

On Tue Aug 22 2017 at 8:08 PM, rwensmann said:

I am a smaller guy at 160-165 without gear coming from a 2006 CRF250x with the standard mods (air box, jetting, pipe, wire) and I ride woods and do the D36 hare scrambles as a C rider.  Just road Argyll on the new bike and I know I need to get use to it but it felt like a handful and couldn’t imagine having to man handle that thing for 2 hours during a race.  It was lots of power with just a little throttle turn and didn’t like the lugging my old bike was very forgiving with.  I had a rekluse on my 250x and until I figure this new bike out not sure where to go.  I would give up top end in a second as high speed is not my riding style if that come into play.  Any suggestions from the hare scramble/woods guys on that bike (specifically 2017 as I  know they have don’t lots of changes to it from previous years).

You went from the slowest "real" dirt bike to a 60hp agessive mx bike with a 18" rear wheel, a 350cc mx bike with 450cc power and say high speed riding is not your thing? Didn't you read anything about the bike before you bought it?

Sell it or trade it for a wr/yz250fx or a uncorked 250EXC with EU maping. They all make atleast 30% more power than your honda and is way easier to ride than your XC-F. If you still feel you want more cc get a 350EXC  and make it EU spec, it will make around 45rwhp and has a very smooth linear powerband, great bottom torque.

Sherco 300sef-r and beta 350/390 are also great options.

Actually thanks for your post Robt85, I forgot to come back on and let people know what I found/decided.  I installed that Rekluse and it completely changed the bike, it makes it much easier to ride.  You can stay down a gear and rev it out, middle gear and ride moderate, or up a gear and bog it so no little twists of the throttle will want to launch the bike from your hands.  All this while taking any kind of bog or flame out problems out of the equation.  Just taking off from a stop it smooths the bike out rather than applying so much power with when that clutch engages.  I am not digging on the bike and I am sure time would have helped but for my riding style that Rekluse was beyond worth the money.  The new style with Hydraulic clutch makes it very easy to adjust as well.  For me using one bike for many things racing, trail riding with my small kids, or hitting a track occasionally this is an awesome bike.  For those of you that have ever used a Left Hand Rear Brake the new model Rekluse one is also much better than their old one.

Just ride it man you will get used to it. I ride woods only and tight tree trails and I mean tight on a 17 450sxf. I changed the gearing and went up 2 teeth in the rear. You will end up loving it I bet you . 

On 8/25/2017 at 1:22 PM, rwensmann said:

Inlumo funny you mention map2 my son actually said his 250 felt better and less bog on the low end in map2.  In my mind the last thing I needed was more power so I didn't try it and wished I had after talking with him on the ride home.  I will try just the Rekluse first before doing anything else as it really does change woods riding and I wanted that no matter what.  I was just trying to delay spending more money after buying the bike.  The 250 came with the black cam installed and the 350 had the grey (less aggressive) so I am not sure how much more the G2 will help but I will keep that in mind.  

Rdway60 curious to see what you think of the flywheel, that will be my last attempt if needed as it appears you need to epoxy that on and there is no turning back after that.  Hoping my next purchase for the 350 will be a steering stabilizer before our first race, got use to that on the old bike and hoping to not spend much more on getting it ready before Sept. 30th.

I have a 2016 and a few other guys in the area have 350xcfs. Where are at if you race D36. Have you tried Southbayriders.com Lots of us on that site and D36 racers. Try the 13T front, turn up idle and get some seat time. I can show you my steering damper/bark buster setup. I can get a picture when im home from work. 

We will be at the D36 race this weekend MMX.  Leaving tomorrow morning at 6am, one of my younger two race the 10am race.