XR400R vs 300XC-W vs WR 450 RELIABILITY

I’ve narrowed my search for a woods bike down to these three bikes.  I have about $4,000 to spend, which one of these bikes will last me the longest?  Things to note, I’m mechanically retarded, outside of oil changes, spark plugs, air/oil filter… I’m &%$#@!ed or will be going to the dealership. I’m tall, 6’3 (200lbs) so a higher seat height is desired. I live in Colorado Springs and will be primarily riding Rampart Range.  Which of these three bikes will I have the best experience with?  Bikes I can afford seem to be in the 2000-2010 era.

• Like 1

XR = zombie apocalypse machine...hands down most reliable bike ever made but those three bikes are about as different and any three you could pool together.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WWalker said:

XR = zombie apocalypse machine...hands down most reliable bike ever made but those three bikes are about as different and any three you could pool together.

These are the three bikes across this forum that seem to be regarded as the most reliable enduro bikes.  Very different indeed, but all accomplish the same goal.  Really looking for a woods bike I can beat to hell and still have a blast riding.

• Like 1

Weren't you posting as "coloradodirtbag" before?

The XR is the most reliable and maintenance free out of that list.  It is also in a completely different class of bikes than the other two.  The XR is a great bike for casual riding, but compared to the XC-W and WR-F it's heavy, slow, underpowered, poor suspension and poor brakes.  But it is reliable and relatively maintenance free so depending on the type of riding you are doing and level of performance you expect it may or may not be the right choice for you.

Between a WR450F and 300 XC-W, as long as the bikes are new or both well cared for used bikes the maintenance will be similar.  You'll probably do more oil changes and obviously valve checks on the WR450F.  But you'll probably have to do a top-end at least twice as often on the XC-W.  But then again a top-end on the XC-W is probably half as hard to do and half the cost as is the WR450F's top-end.

You our can analyze it as long as you want but at the end of the day, the WR450F and 300 XC-W have relatively similar amounts of maintenance over their lifetime.  So instead of getting caught up on that i'd sit on them both and see which fits you better.  I'd decide if you want a light snappy two-stroke that is nearly stall proof or a heavier (more planted) 4 stroke with huge amounts of power under the curve (albeit much more linear and less snappy) that won't be as stall resistant.   I'd consider which one makes you excited to ride when you look at it because all that really matters is the one that you are dying to throw a leg over and ride.

Doc 

Edited by Doc_d

The 300 is the best all round bike made.  Great for everything. Its a 2 stroke so maintenance is low cost and not an issue. 

I Ride a Honda 450, but if I had a second bike it would be a 300.

Xr 400's are Slow PIGS, with xr 50 technology, lol

wr faster PIG

• Like 1

You picked the wrong XR.  The late 250R is one of the best trail bikes ever made.  As reliable as a rock and much more nimble than that horribly top heavy 400.  And bump up the ccs with a 280 kit and you have a pretty darn fast and fairly nimble trail bike.  I know, we have both, and the 400 never gets ridden.  It is good for blasting across the desert and that's about it.

BTW, we have 2 XR50s, they are not remotely like the big XRs, they are pit bikes.  We also have 2 CRF450Rs and a TTR230, so I'm just not talking from limited experience.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

xr400 = dinosaur

wr450 = needs to go on a diet

300xc = :thumbsup:

this is true, the only thing that I will add is that finding a KTM 300 XC or 300 XCW for the $4K budget limit in Colorado, is that it will be worn and require maintenance.  WR450F you are likely to be able to find one with lower hours/miles and within your budget limit.

What I am not clear on is whether the original poster(OP) has riding experience.  Can be a powerful and heavy bike that isnt well suited if OP doesnt have much experience (same with the 300 XC/XC-W)

• Like 1

With all the info online you could learn to work on any of the 3. The 300 is the easiest to work on.

• Like 1

With all the info online you could learn to work on any of the 3. The 300 is the easiest to work on.

Who needs to work on an xr? I rebuilt my 250 after god knows how many miles and 18 years. New sleeve/ piston/valves and camchain. The valves were still in spec. The air filter was not fully installed (biiig air gap)and caked with silt when purchased. Bottom end perfect. Still ran great, just tough starting. Main riding buddy rides a 400. Power delivery in the truly nasty stuff embarrasses a lot of 2 stroke 300s (mine included)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

Who needs to work on an xr? I rebuilt my 250 after god knows how many miles and 18 years. New sleeve/ piston/valves and camchain. The valves were still in spec. The air filter was not fully installed (biiig air gap)and caked with silt when purchased. Bottom end perfect. Still ran great, just tough starting. Main riding buddy rides a 400. Power delivery in the truly nasty stuff embarrasses a lot of 2 stroke 300s (mine included)

I advised the OP to compromise on performance /reliability.  

Personally I  lean heavier towards performance.  I have no intrest in an XR . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

I wish 2 strokes didn't stink so bad, I may have tried a 300xc-w when they came out.

Stink?  Maybe it's because I grew up with 2 strokes (MX and kart racing), but every time a catch a whiff of 2 stroke exhaust I instantly get happier.  It's like catnip. Maybe if you didn't grow up on it, it doesn't conjur up the same positive emotions.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Stink?  Maybe it's because I grew up with 2 strokes (MX and kart racing), but every time a catch a whiff of 2 stroke exhaust I instantly get happier.  It's like catnip. Maybe if you didn't grow up on it, it doesn't conjur up the same positive emotions.

Doc

I wish.. At 13 I was on a 2 stroke 69 T200 suzuki I pulled the headlight and turn signals and put knobbies on. At 16 got a loan for a new DT125 smoker, At 19 raced a 250 Maico smoker, at 33 went 4 stoke XR. Everything since has been 4T.

Now, whenever I ride in group behind 2T I have to drop back a few yards to get some air.  Not sure what happened between 33 and 56 that caused it... I am fine behind 4t bikes and extra fine if the 4T bike is running Klotz octane booster. LOL

• Like 1

Yeah it can suck riding right behind someone on single track.  I think the unburned fuel smell from the people who don't know how to jet and are running really rich is worse than the smell of the oil.  Although there are some people who still insist on running 32:1 or more oil even in this day and age of really good synthetic 2 stroke oils than can be run up to 100:1.

Regardless, if you buy one, you never have to ride behind yourself!

Doc

• Like 2

I love the smell 2st - thats my excuse anyway because i like to stay near the back of the pack.

• Like 1

I advised the OP to compromise on performance /reliability.  
Personally I  lean heavier towards performance.  I have no intrest in an XR . 

I just think the xr line gets a bad rap because they don't stack up well on paper. I'm a decent rider and I can push the line on my xr to almost where I can on my 300 two stroke (mountain singletrack).

There's a lot to be said about comfortable seats, exceptional gas mileage, ultra-useable power, and (as the op asked for) superior reliability. None of that shows up in a stat sheet.

Between the lines is where XRs shine. And I think they are a flat-out better trail performer than modern bikes for intermediate and lower riders.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

I just think the xr line gets a bad rap because they don't stack up well on paper. I'm a decent rider and I can push the line on my xr to almost where I can on my 300 two stroke (mountain singletrack).

There's a lot to be said about comfortable seats, exceptional gas mileage, ultra-useable power, and (as the op asked for) superior reliability. None of that shows up in a stat sheet.

Between the lines is where XRs shine. And I think they are a flat-out better trail performer than modern bikes for intermediate and lower riders.

It suits some but the weight is a killer for many.

• Like 1

It suits some but the weight is a killer for many.

OP is 6'3" and 200. I think for his wants the 400 makes the most sense?

I have a pretty heavy bike that feels real nimble to me KLX450R. 273 lbs modded and fueled.

I watch the TKO enduro videos going over those wet muddy moss covered bolders. I think I would soon buy a lighter bike if that is where I rode every day.

I would want a trials bike with a seat for that race. Maybe a Beta X-Trainer.

Then you see the Erzberg long steep loose climbs and you know nothing but a big bike is going to make those climbs.

For the places I ride, my bike seems great.