Kawi or ssr??

So I've decided that I want to get a pit bike to ride around with my 7yr old son. He currently rides an lt80 quad but I am going to pick him up a bike here soon as well. My question is how is the quality on the newest versions of the ssr pit bikes. I know and understand the the klx 110l that I want will always be the better bike but i read so many reviews of people claiming that the ssr bikes are pretty decent for the money. One problem Imbrunning into is that so many of the reviews I see are at least 3-4 plus years old. I'd love to get the kawi but local prices I'm looking at almost $1000 more than the ssr 140tr that has be recommended. (For the record I'm 5'9" 150lbs). I won't be racing it, mostly just to screw around on the trails and rip around the yard with my son. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both routes and thought some input other than the normal "if it's not jap it's crap" would be great. 

You will be getting what you pay for.

If you buy a more expensive bike today, it will sell for more later. The SSR, while if well taken care of and you are willing to resolve mechanical defects they often have right out of the box will be cheaper, if you decide to sell it, it will not go for much. Neither is at all a race bike. Both will need suspension work to support your weight (they are meant for 120 pound riders).

I'd buy the Kawi (or Suzuki-identcal bikes)

• Like 1

Think longer term, your son won't be 7 and riding around the yard forever.

Invest in an appropriate sized bike for yourself, allowing you more capabilities when he's ready for outings further away from home.

For recreational trail riding, at 5'9" / 150lbs you could consider the often suggested Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TTr230,

perhaps a smaller engine but myself would look into a Kawasaki KLX140L or G for it's lighter weight.

Depending how fast he grows, it could become your son's bike 4-5 years from now.

As William suggested, keep resale value in mind,

some kids outgrow bikes pretty fast, size and skill wise

By keeping with known 'good values', (CRF, TTR)

you can upgrade bikes when necessary without loosing too much of your initial investment.

Your old bike becomes the kid's new bike.

• Like 2

Chinese products, especially those not made for a Western company that enforces engineering and quality assurance standards, have a well earned reputation.  

Doc

• Like 2

Chinese products, especially those not made for a Western company that enforces engineering and quality assurance standards, have a well earned reputation.  
Doc

I don't think SSR falls into that category. I would still lean toward the known quantities for resale, but the quality angle appears to be a lot closer than many believe.

3 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

I don't think SSR falls into that category. I would still lean toward the known quantities for resale, but the quality angle appears to be a lot closer than many believe.

What perpetuates the SSR's crappy reputation is the typical owners. Find one used for sale. Almost always left gas in carb for two years, bald flat tires, bent bars, no seat cover, pod air filter caked in mud, bent/broken/horribly modified exhaust for more power! Etc.

Edited by shrubitup

For some reason the ttr125 and drz125 /klx are usually cheaper than the 110's if your trying to save $$ spend a lil more at first one of good brands and like others said will be cheaper in the long run with resale plus your riding a better bike .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app