Turned a blind corner

So on a Bright sunny day , riding through some tall jungle stuff into the forest. Its dark in the forest and Im meandering over some branches , a trail I do regularly , and carrying a good pace, so I go around this blind corner, avoiding hanging branches and stuff, look up as Im gassing it, and  OH shit !  10 yards in front of me is a Large Black Bear blocking the trail (staring at me), scared da chit out of me, hit the brakes, and thinking where to go, as its thick brush with trees and limbs everywhere. So dont want to get stuck.  There was a slight opening to the right, before the Bear, so I goose it that direction, and the bear jumped in the opposite direction.  I was able the circle back around as the bear was no longer blocking my trail. And exited back on the trail where I originally intended to go.

But really makes you wonder how to deal with that, Luckily my Case , it wasn't an actual bear, but a large BLack Angus Bull, but it still skeered the crap out of me.

So Im thinking, what if it was a big Grizzly in the mountains under the same scenario?

must have happened to someone?

ever been skeered?

By a black bear? No. Last one I saw I got off my bike and followed for a bit to get a picture. Grizzly on the other hand, draw gun and pray its not a female with cubs.

• Like 1

Luckily we dont have bears over here - snakes on the other hand - couple of times ive stepped on the body of a snake - that rolling feeling and instant paralysis as you freeze and hope to god its not a Tiger snake.

• Like 1

Snakes I kind of expect to occasionally see, but its been years since I came across any riding. I moved the northern Florida, for a year back about 15 years ago, never seen so many snakes out riding, during the April to June time frame. That's one thing good about wearing MX boots in the woods.

But yeah Australia , is a different world. 

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Luckily we dont have bears over here - snakes on the other hand - couple of times ive stepped on the body of a snake - that rolling feeling and instant paralysis as you freeze and hope to god its not a Tiger snake.
I'll take bear over that shit any day.
  • Like 1

I own an exotic animal rescue with lions. I can tell you for the most part they are more scared of us then we are of them. Plus They are used to being the predator. Your only defense is really to grab a jacket or backpack or anything and wave it around to make yourself look big with lots of noise. Possible make clanging noises. You'd be surprised how it really scares the crap out of them and confuses them. We keep fire extinguishers in case any incident. Scares the bajeesus out of them.

But bears for sure are a different story. You want to back away from them and or play dead not looking at them in eye. I was mtn biking once and physically ran into a bear running across my path. He slid into me, spun around and ran opposite direction. Not sure if I was more scared of him or vice versus. 

8 hours ago, Spud786 said:

So Im thinking, what if it was a big Grizzly in the mountains under the same scenario?

well bear is very soft and nice in touch so if you hit a bear at speed you should be OK.

Definitely prefer to hit bear then a bull or moose for instance.

Edited by motf

19 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Snakes I kind of expect to occasionally see, but its been years since I came across any riding. I moved the northern Florida, for a year back about 15 years ago, never seen so many snakes out riding, during the April to June time frame. That's one thing good about wearing MX boots in the woods.

But yeah Australia , is a different world. 

My son and I used to run over snakes and pop the clutch and blip the throttle to see how far we could throw them.  Sometimes at each other, whichever one was following.  I'm a snake trainer.  I train snakes to be good snakes. . .

Edited by markbfe501

45 minutes ago, markbfe501 said:

My son and I used to run over snakes and pop the clutch and blip the throttle to see how far we could throw them.  Sometimes at each other, whichever one was following.  I'm a snake trainer.  I train snakes to be good snakes. . .

Unfortunately we'd never hit it off, Only good snake near me is a dead snake!

• Like 1

Just now, Spud786 said:

Unfortunately we'd never hit it off, Only good snake near me is a dead snake!

That's what I train them to be.  I live on a river in lower Alabama.  So far this year, Iv'e trained 3 water moccasins and 2 copperheads.  My wife has a trained a couple as well . . .

• Like 1

Mountain squirrels...a few years back my dad ran over one, kicked it up in the air and it landed on my back and was all claws...scared the crap out of me!!!

Every spring, my son makes me go first for the first time down the trails.  Then he laughs at me when I slam on the brakes, slide the bike down and jump off, flailing my arms like a crazy man.  I hit dozens of these things webbed across the trail. . . One part of the web sticks to the number plate.  The other to the bill on my helmet.  And spidy just springs back and forth right in front of my face.

heather-banana-spider.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

heather-banana-spider.jpg

OMG my fiance would freak - she freaks out on spiders 100 times smaller. I say hunni - i think it would be more scared of you - she has a solid punch on her  :cry: