Thoughts on CRF230L

I am in the market for a dual sport bike. My current CRF230F does not have a title so I can't get it titled for the street. I am thinking of buying another 230F with title and building a dual sport version, something like frickinjim did with his 230F. I ran across a few 230L models for sale but don't know the capabilities of this particular model.  I like that it comes with a rear disc brake and has lights and is titled for the street. Can I do all the same mods to a 230L? I have plenty of extra engine parts for my 230F such as ST2.0 cam and an extra BBR piston. I also have an extra set of 150R forks. I am pretty sure that the 230L rear shock is different than the 230F, so I am not sure about options for upgrading.

is it worth the effort to modify a 230L to make an awesome street legal dirt dike that I can occasionally and legally jump on the road? It will see 90% off-road so I really want a capable dirt bike like my 230F. Any thoughts?

I have a 230L (bought for GF).

Besides the displacement, they don't have much in common. At all.

The 230F is a dirt bike. The 230L is a off road capable street bike.

I'm SURE that they were designed/executed by different departments at Honda, the 230L has all the design characteristics of a Honda street bike (airbox design, brake hose routing, brackets to hold wiring connections, etc etc) whereas the 230F is built like a Honda dirt bike.

Stick with the 230F for off road usage. The 230L is more of a light duty dual sport bike.

• Like 1

Too bad no title for the f, I think they make great dual sports. The L model is different:
transmission gearing is different The rear linkage is different
The shock is different
The carb is a cv
Bigger stator
Different frame ( made in Japan)
Rear disc brake
Different swing arm
Probably other items. Just can't remember them all.

230L is typically more expensive than a comparable f model.

Negative on 230L.  Stick with LED lighting, 18 watt headlight and convert a 230f.  You can also add power at the stator. 

Why you cannot get title?  Loan default?

Extremely small inlet port compared to the F head. Also the L crank is a different length on the clutch side.

• Like 1

I live in Louisiana and we did not always have titles for dirt bikes. The 230F I bought did not have a title, however I could apply for a lost title. I have recently discovered that LA no longer allows off-road bikes to be plated for the street. So I will have to find a 230F that is already plated or get a different bike all together. Too bad the 230L is not a good option.

18 hours ago, jeffrow68 said:

I live in Louisiana and we did not always have titles for dirt bikes. The 230F I bought did not have a title, however I could apply for a lost title. I have recently discovered that LA no longer allows off-road bikes to be plated for the street. So I will have to find a 230F that is already plated or get a different bike all together. Too bad the 230L is not a good option.

Get an LA title, then plate it in another state.