G2 Throttle install issues

anyone running the g2 throttle tamer on their 4t bikes? Just picked one up today. I have installed them in the past on both my KTM and my Hsq 501. But with the beta there seems to be too much side to side play between the throttle and throttle housing, allowing the cable to move in and out of the grooves. I can hear my cable grinding as I rotate the throttle. Any clues? Wondering if g2 was just getting to market quick, since our throttles are basically a KTM 50/65 2t cable, and just put Beta on the sticker.

I've been running one on my '13 350RR for 3 months without issues.  It weirds out my experienced friends who are used to a snappy throttle but I love it.

I did have to adjust each cable length at the carb though - something I must just be used to rehabilitating old bikes where you're not always using OEM parts.  Try that and see if it does the trick for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RudderFeet said:

I've been running one on my '13 350RR for 3 months without issues.  It weirds out my experienced friends who are used to a snappy throttle but I love it.

I did have to adjust each cable length at the carb though - something I must just be used to rehabilitating old bikes where you're not always using OEM parts.  Try that and see if it does the trick for you.

Only 1 cable.. but I'll give it a go.. Maybe the slightly older models still had 2 cables?

well the cable actually may be the issue here. Its SUPER tight, and as loose as I can make it, I still have Zero freeplay in the throttle.  Odd to say the least.  Put the OEM tube back on, and sure enough I only have maybe 1mm play, no wonder it was a little twitchy in the woods. ?  Manual says 3-5mm play which I found pretty standard on my other scoots.

• Like 1

done with this.. putting OEM back on.  I've had nothing but issues with this bike since day 1.  May be time to simply ditch the beta brand.  Second time around, after the first one I swore I would never get another, but against my better judgement bought a 500.  Constant issues, frame was out of alignment so the pegs were way off, thermostat leaked, now apparently they build my bike with the wrong throttle cable.. never I have ever had issues like this with my other bikes.  I don't mind an issue here and there, but my bike has been apart more than it's been ridden at this point.. Don't fancy 10k projects.. 

• Like 1

That blows chow.  

I put a G2 aluminum throttle tube on but not the Throttle Lamer, just the replacement tube as I had crunched mine when the bike went down.   It has been working awesome so far, smoother than the stock plastic tube.  

What will you go with if you get ride of your 2016 500?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

That blows chow.  

I put a G2 aluminum throttle tube on but not the Throttle Lamer, just the replacement tube as I had crunched mine when the bike went down.   It has been working awesome so far, smoother than the stock plastic tube.  

What will you go with if you get ride of your 2016 500?  

KTM 500 or Hsq 501.  Which is what I had before and loved it, thought I'd try beta again.. so far blows.  I ride these bikes in nasty rocky rooted out single track in Western WA, so the throttle tamer helps big time for that stuff.  Put one on my 501 and my 990 adventure with zero issues.  This one just isn't going to work.  The cam hits the bottom part of the housing and make it too tight.  Just another beta thing, IMO.

Just now, RudderFeet said:

Are you the original owner of the Beta 500? Call the dealer and/or Beta USA and explain what you see. 

got the bike with 24 miles on it from the Dealer.  A man with more means then me, bought 5 of them in 1 day, rode them all a few miles and sold the ones he didn't want back to the dealer.  This is one of them.  He never laid a wrench on it as he was about 70 years old.  Both my dealer and g2 said they've never seen this before.. of course.. 

25 minutes ago, markwoodlief said:

KTM 500 or Hsq 501.  Which is what I had before and loved it, thought I'd try beta again.. so far blows.  I ride these bikes in nasty rocky rooted out single track in Western WA, so the throttle tamer helps big time for that stuff.  Put one on my 501 and my 990 adventure with zero issues.  This one just isn't going to work.  The cam hits the bottom part of the housing and make it too tight.  Just another beta thing, IMO.

Those were on my list back in December when I decided to get a 500cc dual sport.  I'm glad I got the Beta 500 RR-S.  The dealers up my way both have their 500 EXC's for $9,999, down from $10,699.  Gotta make way for the 2018's.  

It stinks that you are not happy with the one you got but there really is no other way than to sell or trade it and get something that won't have the problems or issues you are having and have been having with the G2 throttle tamer.  If I were you, I'd do the same thing but so far, my RR-S has been nothing but awesome.  I was so happy when I found out it would not be raining today so I could ride back and forth to work as it is the highlight of my day, being able to ride the Beta.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

Can any of you guys with FI tell me how much throttle play you have? Manual says 3-5mm, like every other bike I've owned or still own, but my 500 has ZERO.  G2 doesn't work on my bike, so start researching why, found out that I need 3-5mm play even with the stock tube, I get zero. Adjusted at the bar and adjusted at the throttle body makes no difference.

2 minutes ago, RudderFeet said:

Something isn't adjusting right if you're not getting any play.  Both ends should twist clockwise to shorten the standoffs.

yeah, I get zero even with the OEM throttle.  I took off the cover on the throttle body side, adjusted that and up by the bars, then looking at the cable in the throttle body housing.. if I move it 1mm on the throttle tube, it moves the cable and the bike starts revving.. sure was a SOB in the woods like that, hence ordering up the 'tamer. ;).. my dealer says there is suppose to be zero play, but this isn't my first go around, and have likely owned more bikes than my Beta dealer. ?

17 minutes ago, markwoodlief said:

Can any of you guys with FI tell me how much throttle play you have? Manual says 3-5mm, like every other bike I've owned or still own, but my 500 has ZERO.  G2 doesn't work on my bike, so start researching why, found out that I need 3-5mm play even with the stock tube, I get zero. Adjusted at the bar and adjusted at the throttle body makes no difference.

I definitely have the 3-5 mm of throttle play on my 2017 500 RR-S with FI. 

Playing around one day, I did loosen the brass adjuster and spun it a bit just to see what would happen and sure enough, it took out the play.  I quickly put it back as that 3-5 mm is crucial as we all know.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I definitely have the 3-5 mm of throttle play on my 2017 500 RR-S with FI. 

Playing around one day, I did loosen the brass adjuster and spun it a bit just to see what would happen and sure enough, it took out the play.  I quickly put it back as that 3-5 mm is crucial as we all know.  

thanks man.. yeah. ZERO play.  Sure appreciate the info.  Wonder what the hell could be wrong with my bike.  Cable is obviously not long enough.