Kids first bike

I purchased a PW50 a couple of weeks ago because I got a good deal on it.  I was pretty excited and thought Santa was way ahead of the game.  It needs a little cleaning and new decals but nothing major at all.  So upon getting the thing to my in-laws house (good hiding spot) I noticed two things; First of all this is probably too small for my 7 year old and I have a 5 year old that would love it just as much so instead of them fighting over it, I'll be two.  So I started my search for the larger bike and got consumed in the details.  Probably a whole lot more than I should.

I ended up with two great bikes...both at what I think are pretty good deals.  05 PW80 in excellent condition for $600 and a 2000 XR70 in good condition that needs a carb clean for $300.

Here's my question...which one do I keep?  Both seem like good bikes.  I grew up on an XR80 and know it's a heck of a bike that you can't kill.  I'm not super familiar with the PW's other than they seem to be the number one starter bike.  Maybe it would be cool for both kids to be on a PW but I really don't care about that (they might though).  I know I could clean the carb on the XR and make some coin and I could probably sell the PW as is and make a few bucks, but that's not what this is about. 

Which bike do I keep...the XR70 or PW80?

Pro's and Con's to both?

Edited by reeltight

I reckon the younger sibling would love the fact that he has nearly the same bike as the older sibling

Both are great bikes and easy to work on

5 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

I reckon the younger sibling would love the fact that he has nearly the same bike as the older sibling

Both are great bikes and easy to work on

That's kind of the direction I was going but know the XR is a great bike.

2 hours ago, SilvFx said:

how big is your 7 year old?....height/weight?

Right now he's 65 lbs.  Not sure of his height.  I did measure the seat height on his bicycle at 26" and he does fine with that.  He's growing like a weed and will not see this till Christmas so who knows by then.  I do understand that the xr70 and pw80 are both a touch large for him right now.  I envision him starting out on the pw50 to get his feet wet and move up to the larger bike shortly there after.   

well that seat height for his bike is pretty close to both the PW80 (25.0") and the XR70 (25.8").  Never had a PW50 or PW80.  Owned XR80, CRF100F and CRF150F for my kids.  If I recall correctly, my youngest was about 4' 10" when he started riding the XR80...but was closer to 9 years old.  My only concern was whether your son is too big for the PW80 or XR70 and that's why i asked about height/weight - because there can be a very large size diff between kids of similar ages.

The only thing that I dont like about PW80 is that front/rear wheel are both 12".  XR70 has 14"/12" wheels if I recall correctly and looks more like a big boy bike (PW wheels look a bit more like a toy).  The younger kid may think it is cool that his bike looks like his older brother's bike - but I'm not so certain your older boy will think that is a cool feature that he matches with his younger brother. My preference is to get the largest wheels possible, so that they dont flip themselves over small obstacles (bigger the wheel the easier it is to get over an obstacle).   PW80 being a two stroke probably has more power than the 70 cc aircooled 4 stroke XR70.

Maybe best to base the decision on best year/condition/price combination along with evaluating how either of them run/start.  $300 for an XR70 may be a great price if it only needs a carb clean.  Or it could be a constant nightmare that is no fun to ride.  So I would put a lot of weight on how good it starts and runs and performs (engine, suspension, shocks, brakes, etc all working as intended).

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

well that seat height for his bike is pretty close to both the PW80 (25.0") and the XR70 (25.8").  Never had a PW50 or PW80.  Owned XR80, CRF100F and CRF150F for my kids.  If I recall correctly, my youngest was about 4' 10" when he started riding the XR80...but was closer to 9 years old.  My only concern was whether your son is too big for the PW80 or XR70 and that's why i asked about height/weight - because there can be a very large size diff between kids of similar ages.

The only thing that I dont like about PW80 is that front/rear wheel are both 12".  XR70 has 14"/12" wheels if I recall correctly and looks more like a big boy bike (PW wheels look a bit more like a toy).  The younger kid may think it is cool that his bike looks like his older brother's bike - but I'm not so certain your older boy will think that is a cool feature that he matches with his younger brother. My preference is to get the largest wheels possible, so that they dont flip themselves over small obstacles (bigger the wheel the easier it is to get over an obstacle).   PW80 being a two stroke probably has more power than the 70 cc aircooled 4 stroke XR70.

Maybe best to base the decision on best year/condition/price combination along with evaluating how either of them run/start.  $300 for an XR70 may be a great price if it only needs a carb clean.  Or it could be a constant nightmare that is no fun to ride.  So I would put a lot of weight on how good it starts and runs and performs (engine, suspension, shocks, brakes, etc all working as intended).

I appreciate you input.  You've had an XR80 so you know there's not a whole lot that can go wrong with them.  I'll clean the carbs next week and see what happens.  The PW80 currently runs like a sewing machine. I promise you he's not too big for either.  If anything a touch on the small size.

My son was on a PW80 when he was 7. Rode it for a year or so. Awesome bike! Reliable, fun to ride. Sold it for more than we bought it.

• Like 1