Will a KLR 650 alternator fit a KLX 650?

Hello everyone, my 1994 KLX650 stopped working a week ago: the alternator broke, no spark. I was calling some scrapyards, and one of them said one from a KLR650 from the same era should fit. Does anyone know whether this is true?

Thanks in advance!

Added a picture of it, absolutely in love with it! Hope I can get it back on the road soon.

DSC06087.JPG

I don't think they will , the 2 bikes are completely different but I haven't had either of my KLX's apart on that side but on ebay comparing the 2 they look quite different , however the dia and whether they have an ignition side or not can make or break the option. I can't remember if the klx runs off the battery or the stator , as in will it run with the battery dead or disconnected or does the batter have to be fully charged and putting out 12v or so .

I see the stator in ebay has 2 bigger poles so I'm thinking it has the ignition run off the stator , same as the '88 to '07klr , soooooo............maybe ?????.

May be worth a try , klr stators can be gotten fairly cheap , at least for one to try , can always get a better one if it works then , I'm interested as well since I have 2 KLX's .

Edited by jjktmrider

On 24-8-2017 at 7:32 PM, jjktmrider said:

I don't think they will , the 2 bikes are completely different but I haven't had either of my KLX's apart on that side but on ebay comparing the 2 they look quite different , however the dia and whether they have an ignition side or not can make or break the option. I can't remember if the klx runs off the battery or the stator , as in will it run with the battery dead or disconnected or does the batter have to be fully charged and putting out 12v or so .

I see the stator in ebay has 2 bigger poles so I'm thinking it has the ignition run off the stator , same as the '88 to '07klr , soooooo............maybe ?????.

May be worth a try , klr stators can be gotten fairly cheap , at least for one to try , can always get a better one if it works then , I'm interested as well since I have 2 KLX's .

Thank you for your reply! Sorry for my late response, but I've been looking around and contacting several companies about it. One of them had a website which sold all kinds of ignition parts, and also an alternator! So I ordered one of those this weekend and hope it will arrive this week and fit the bike.

Here's the company: http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

Here's the dealer site I ordered it from: http://www.siccamasales.nl/en