1994 XR250R or 1991 Kawasaki KDX250

Hi, I ride a 2001 BMW F650 Funduro but I want to get something that is more enduro capable and that is not a drag when I drop it. The past few days I searched for bikes that were in the range of my criteria:

• Lightweight: I will probably drop it a few times. I've dropped the BMW a few times and it is NOT fun to pick it up, I'm always scared I break something on the thing because some things stick out. 
  • Durable: I'm not THAT mechanically-savy but I'm willing to learn. However; i'd rather ride than wrench on the bike. I'm not looking for something that needs adjustments every time I've ridden it.
  • Low maintenance: same as above. In my search for a nice dual sport/enduro bike I've encountered a lot of these nice sounding 2 cylinders but a lot of people say that you can't really ride those on the street to the woods (around 200km/125miles) because it will need service intervals really fast (top end rebuilds etc). I don't want that. I want it to be able to take a few stretches of road (nothing fast) but also dirt/woods/enduro paths/trails etc.
  • Easy to work on: IF something happens it would be nice that the bike is easy to work on.
  • What it needs to do: ride some road (about 70 miles to and from location). I want to ride in some sandpits, woods, tight trails, and want to see if I like enduro. My country is really flat so we don't have a lot of hills unfortunatly but to give you an impression of what i'd like to do: 

So far I've pretty much narrowed it down to the XR250R, a 1994 model that I've seen on my local ebay-like site. However, the KDX250 keeps popping op in my head ('you like the sound of a 2 stroke, its faster, broaap'). In comparison to the XR250R, how low maintenance is the KDX250? Is it one of the typical dirt bikes that you should load on the back of your truck to ride to the destination and even then have to do all sorts of maintenance on it to make it rideable again? Or is it like the XR250 that you can practically ride to the destination, ride it there, ride back and pretty much change the oil and air filter once in a while (or so I've heard?).

Oh, and anything I need to look out for on the XR250R? :) Thanks in advance guys, I'm really looking forward to getting one of these bikes!!

The XR250 will be happier on the road parts of your travels than the KDX250. (70 miles is a pretty long commute to get to the woods especially for a 2 stroke that doesn't really like steady throttle highways jaunts) the KDX250 is happiest zipping through trails with constant throttle changes.

Having owned both of those in the past, Personally I'd probably prefer the KDX once you hit trails but I'd also probably use a truck or trailer to get there.

If your just poking around on all sorts of roads (with occasional country highways - not interstate!) just to explore and see if you like a small dualsport, then you should probably go with the XR250. It's more forgiving to droning down paved roads, you can gas up anywhere (no premix required).

But you do realize that both of those models you listed are dirt bikes and might require jumping through a few hoops to get license plates and legal for riding on public roads? Unless already done by previous owners. That in itself is a whole other topic you may want to explore also before committing to buying a dirt bike to be used as a dualsport.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply! Yes I think I will settle for the XR250R then. I'm relatively new to all of this. Just got my BMW F650 a year ago when I got my license but I've really come addicted to the offroad venturing, I just want to explore and go on more rides and see places that haven't been roaded yet :) As far as the licensing is concerned thats no problem, in my country they're all plated and good to go :) 

Thanks for your reply! Yes I think I will settle for the XR250R then. I'm relatively new to all of this. Just got my BMW F650 a year ago when I got my license but I've really come addicted to the offroad venturing, I just want to explore and go on more rides and see places that haven't been roaded yet :) As far as the licensing is concerned thats no problem, in my country they're all plated and good to go :) 

Oh and more question: when I go there to see the bike; is there anything I should look out for in particular? What are some common issues and what are some things that you would look at when you buy a used XR250R? I'm new to dirtbikes.

27 minutes ago, Kokosmakroon said:

Oh and more question: when I go there to see the bike; is there anything I should look out for in particular? What are some common issues and what are some things that you would look at when you buy a used XR250R? I'm new to dirtbikes.

@RideEnduros has the right intel. The KDX being 2-stroke will require a top end rebuild more quickly than the XR. The KDX is great in the trails but will suffer on the long road jaunts. If you run out of fuel you must carry extra 2-stroke oil to mix on the spot. XR is easy to adjust the valves and maintain.

When you look at the XR check the frame weld joints under the engine, at the head tube and at the seat joint. Check the fork seals for leaks. Check for oil leaks or really messy grime buildup around the engine as this is an indicator of a leak. Listen to the valves to make sure there is not too much clatter. Check the brakes. Check the chain and sprockets for wear. Check cables for smooth operation.       

• Like 1