NY riders who've plated a dirt bike in Vermont / elsewhere

I've been reliably informed that as consequence of our great State's ban on all things fun it is nearly impossible to dualsportify a dirt bike here, but that it is possible to get a plate from other states. Can anyone who's gone through this process walk me through the procedure and/or give me some idea of the costs and potential issues?

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 2

If you have an MSO or MCO, you're much better off.  If you have a NY transferable regi, it's a lot harder.  Since some (one, many, most, all?) other states don't recognize a transferable registration as a legal ownership document, you would have to apply to Albany to get a copy of the MSO that was submitted for the NY regi.  Once you have the copy, just follow the rules for a conversion in another state.  If it's never been registered in NY, you can then just transfer the new street title back, but if it was previously ATV registered, it's flagged, and they may or may not accept the transfer.  I got lucky in that respect.  The clerk changed it with a few key strokes.

• Like 1

I've been reliably informed that as consequence of our great State's ban on all things fun it is nearly impossible to dualsportify a dirt bike here, but that it is possible to get a plate from other states. Can anyone who's gone through this process walk me through the procedure and/or give me some idea of the costs and potential issues?

I'm in NY and I tried and its a no go. I even tried in Florida where my parents live and Its A No go. My Suzuki dealer said a lot of guys are doing it through Pennsylvania. Saying you bought the bike down there and moved to NY and lost all paperwork. It worked for some guys because they changed something on the paperwork and they got the "Off road use" off the title they said. They asked me to do it to see if it worked but I never went through with it.

I was curious about doing it through Vermont and transfer back to NY.

I know somebody that did it a couple of years ago and it worked for his 03 yz250. I think now things maybe different. That's why I also have a Drz now cause NY DMV is a bunch of B%#&$'s. Good luck and keep us updated if you find another way.

I

Sent from my LG-H918 using ThumperTalk mobile app

New York is so wonderful (NYC/Long Island) that they won't let you plate a dirt bike, they closed down the legal riding spots, they have a zero tolerance for street riding and will send your bike to be crushed on TV so you can watch and cry and they have strict laws if you get caught on public property (even if nobodies uses the wooded area On their property in 15 years) Soooo they are forcing us to Not buy bikes/Atv's and support the dealers (and economy) and take our business out of state and give them the money, and then they cry because NYers are taking they money out of state and not spending it locally. Go figure.... Sorry for the rant....

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Trail_Dude said:

New York is so wonderful (NYC/Long Island) that they won't let you plate a dirt bike, they closed down the legal riding spots, they have a zero tolerance for street riding and will send your bike to be crushed on TV so you can watch and cry and they have strict laws if you get caught on public property (even if nobodies uses the wooded area On their property in 15 years) Soooo they are forcing us to Not buy bikes/Atv's and support the dealers (and economy) and take our business out of state and give them the money, and then they cry because NYers are taking they money out of state and not spending it locally. Go figure.... Sorry for the rant....

I feel for anyone trying to ride in that human anthill down there. Must take some serious dedication just to find trails. Offroading outside of the clubs is of course mildly illegal throughout NY, but out here in the sticks the powers that be will generally ignore you unless you're going out of your way to stir up the hive.  

• Like 3

I got my ct70 registered and plated in VT.  47 yr old bike, no title, just a bill of sale, all done via mail.   Piece of cake.   Vt does not issue titles on bikes smaller than 300cc, so no title is needed for a registration.   You will have to pay sales tax,  and the registration fees.   However,  if over 300 cc, you may be out of luck.   That is not to say that you wouldn't have issues from local police of you're driving around without appropriate street equipment (horn, brake lights,  dot tires, etc)... driving my ct70 around my town in PA does attract attention,  and I have been stopped a few times by police... but each time, they smiled and told me it was the coolest bike they'd ever seen.   

CT70.jpg

• Like 2

I got my ct70 registered and plated in VT.  47 yr old bike, no title, just a bill of sale, all done via mail.   Piece of cake.   Vt does not issue titles on bikes smaller than 300cc, so no title is needed for a registration.   You will have to pay sales tax,  and the registration fees.   However,  if over 300 cc, you may be out of luck.   That is not to say that you wouldn't have issues from local police of you're driving around without appropriate street equipment (horn, brake lights,  dot tires, etc)... driving my ct70 around my town in PA does attract attention,  and I have been stopped a few times by police... but each time, they smiled and told me it was the coolest bike they'd ever seen.   
CT70.jpg.1953fe2d00848b272b4ff39a336b5cc1.jpg

Awesome and your bike is Bad ASS! [emoji106]

I have a legal plate on my wr250f. Not hard here in Arizona, just need brake light  high and low beam head light and a horn. The best part, all I had to do was tell them that I was going to make the modifications and they gave me the plate. Was almost too easy.

Michael

• Like 1

If... you are able to get a street title out of state, you will need to convert it to a titled bike in the state your primary residence is in. Most states allow a 30 day grace period though I have no idea how they can know when the 30 day period started. For arguments sake, say your drivers license was issued in 2016 and you are driving a bike registered to yourself, that is an immediate ticket, you have a license proving residency more than six months prior.

So... if you are able to get a bike street plated out of state, you still have to get it plated in the state you reside. Depending the the state and how 'intelligent' their system is, you could be denied the plate or simply sail right through. One hint, where you do the plating sometimes makes a difference. A busy town or city might be harder than in a rural setting. In VA for example, it is near impossible to get a plate near any city. But travel to nowheresville and they will give you a plate for a garbage can.

• Like 1

If you can't afford a KTM buy used bikes that have out of state street titles and register them here in N.Y. my current ride is a kx250f with a street plate I bought in N.J. the one before that had a CT street title that I got registered in N.Y. 

• Like 1

If you can't afford a KTM buy used bikes that have out of state street titles and register them here in N.Y. my current ride is a kx250f with a street plate I bought in N.J. the one before that had a CT street title that I got registered in N.Y. 

Good advice[emoji106]
Now we all just gotta be on the hunt for a plates dirtbike in the surrounding states. The competition is on!
I wonder how the Jersey guy plated a kx250f? I checked Jersey and it was almost as hard as NY... I would love to legalize my Crf250r. But that's why I also got a Drz[emoji16]

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trail_Dude said:

Good adviceemoji106.png
Now we all just gotta be on the hunt for a plates dirtbike in the surrounding states. The competition is on!
I wonder how the Jersey guy plated a kx250f? I checked Jersey and it was almost as hard as NY... I would love to legalize my Crf250r. But that's why I also got a Drzemoji16.png

I have no idea how he did it. It don't even have blinkers and the headlight that came with it is just for show.  

• Like 1

I see lots of trailers being pulled with Vermont plates in Rochester. There must be a loop hole. As for riding on the road, wouldn't the bike have to be inspected as well. Good luck getting a 2T to pass.

5 minutes ago, Fred29 said:

I see lots of trailers being pulled with Vermont plates in Rochester. There must be a loop hole. As for riding on the road, wouldn't the bike have to be inspected as well. Good luck getting a 2T to pass.

All an NY motorcycle inspection really does is check if you have more or less functional mirrors and lights. Emissions are not checked so passing a two stroke should be no problem.

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

All an NY motorcycle inspection really does is check if you have more or less functional mirrors and lights. Emissions are not checked so passing a two stroke should be no problem.

I had no idea. Thanks.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:40 PM, ninjabones said:

CT70.jpg

JUST REGISTERED MY XR 400 LIIVE IN MA. COULD NOT HAVE BEEN EASIER. JUST NEED TO  ADD ALL REQUIRED STREET EQUIPMENT. AND GO TO REGISTRY. BOOM !!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 11:38 AM, Fred29 said:

NO EMISSIONS ON A BIKE AT LEAST IN VT OR MA.