96 250 exc, worth owning?

Yeah, I know it won't perform anything like a modern katoom and doesn't really blow its contemporaries out of the water either. On the other hand, it's not totally roached, (a rarity for older bikes here in the northern rust belt), it's fairly cheap ($1000), and I got a soft spot for 90s wierdness. 

So, riders who own one or have owned one, how are they? Any major issues to account for their relative rarity? How's maintenance and parts availability? How do they stack up against competitors like like the kdx 200 and xr250?

• Like 1

21 year old 'boutique' bike, think parts will be easy to get? There are people with ten year old bikes that have parts issues. Now, if you do not mind being patient and searching over the world for a person that has NOS and it is a bike you 'must have', then go for it. If you simply want a dirt bike to bang around on, buy an old Japanese one, you'll have a easier time keeping it running.

• Like 1

I had a 93 exc 250 up until a couple of years ago. Parts for the motor are easy to get, same from 91-99. Most other parts are easy to find. The only parts you have limited choice is plastic for the bike.  Performance wise the bike should be very good.  The motor on my 93 was a little soft on the bottom, good mid and strong top. Suspension and handling were good for 90's bikes. For a trail bike it will be better than a mid 90's mx bike. 

I had a 95 KTM. I think 95 and 96 were the two years of 45mm Marzocchi conventional forks. (I think they went to 50mm the next year.) Very plush but blew threw the travel easily. Separate adjusters on separate forks. One of the adjusters seized and I couldn't get parts. I dinged a tube and I couldn't get parts.

$70 levers, and that was in 1996.

Just got a 96 kx250 for $900. Hard to resist the replace everything with new or aftermarket parts urge but I'm limiting myself to used parts only while pretending that I'm unemployed with $5K to my name. I'm installing used tires for example. It has steel 7/8 bars. That's ok, it's fun economizing and buying barely used 22 year old parts from eBay. I dunno abt your ktm tho. :p

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 7:32 AM, TheLastByte said:

Yeah, I know it won't perform anything like a modern katoom and doesn't really blow its contemporaries out of the water either. On the other hand, it's not totally roached, (a rarity for older bikes here in the northern rust belt), it's fairly cheap ($1000), and I got a soft spot for 90s wierdness. 

So, riders who own one or have owned one, how are they? Any major issues to account for their relative rarity? How's maintenance and parts availability? How do they stack up against competitors like like the kdx 200 and xr250?

I had the exact bike in question!  1996 250 EXC, bought brand new in 1997.  My first 'real' enduro bike and my first 2 stroke.  It was a great bike.  Marz forks and Ohlins rear shock, real high end stuff.  Great power.  Very durable (I looped that sucker out more than I care to admit) and never had any issues.  The issue I did have was with the spark plug, went through them every 150 miles.  Not sure if it was just my bike or what, but never quite got a handle on that issues.  Solid it after 2-3 years due to College getting in the way of having fun.

Great memories though and really nice bike.

As others have pointed out - probably difficult to find parts for, which is going to get old quick if you are riding a lot and constantly worried about finding parts locally / quickly.

• Like 1