Stator Rewind question for XR400

I am on the fence to rewind my stator for my XR400. I can't decide if I should modify a TRX400EX stator and run that or DIY rewind on my own (full rewind), OR  DIY on my stator but only add a circuit to the empty poles for a second output dedicated to my grip heaters (really the only reason I am considering a rewind).

Can anyone chime in on how easy the TRX400 stator mod is? It sounds like I just have to float the ground on the lighting circuit and run it to the stock location on the frame??? They are cheap on ebay... 

THANKS

36609383501_f7d7939e04_h_d.jpg

Dont know anything about a TRX stator.

But Ive rewound a few. And of my own bikes, I rewound an xr600r stock stator with 18gauge magnet wire. And made two outputs to copy Ricky. It worked perfectly. But now that bike has DC and only runs spark on AC. 

But Ive since then built another xr600r. I met the owner of Ricky Stator at the beach, and had a good discussion with him. Intelligence and experience go into his product. And I put one of his stators in that new 600 build. And I am supremely impressed. Im a for life Ricky user now.

I would definitely suggest you look into the cost and do the same. Especially if this is your first stator rewind. Its not hard, but some people have never soldered anything before. 

22 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Dont know anything about a TRX stator.

But Ive rewound a few. And of my own bikes, I rewound an xr600r stock stator with 18gauge magnet wire. And made two outputs to copy Ricky. It worked perfectly. But now that bike has DC and only runs spark on AC. 

But Ive since then built another xr600r. I met the owner of Ricky Stator at the beach, and had a good discussion with him. Intelligence and experience go into his product. And I put one of his stators in that new 600 build. And I am supremely impressed. Im a for life Ricky user now.

I would definitely suggest you look into the cost and do the same. Especially if this is your first stator rewind. Its not hard, but some people have never soldered anything before. 

Thanks for input, I have run ricky stators in my last 2 XRs. Just trying to experiment on this one for kicks. I'll probably just break down and go rickystator again hah

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 400ex stator works in the xr400r. It has enough output for a baja headlight, 20w tail light and a stock 55/60w headlight bulb at the very least. The problem with the 400ex stator is that it is missing a ground wire that normally runs to the cdi on the xr400r. I had heard without this wire hooked up it doesn't run right. I was able to find this missing wire. On the 400ex stator, this wire comes off one of the wound up parts and is grounded. You have to de-solder the wire and extend it with a new wire (20 gauge txl) up through the stator grommet that comes out the top of the stator cover and run this to the connections where the old stator once connected on the xr.

It's really easy once you identify the wire, solder/shrink tube one on and poke a hole in the grommet and feed it through. I cut the xr400r connector off the old stator and soldered it to the 400ex stator and used adhesive shrink tube then finished everything is some split loom. The wires in the stators are some marine grade stainless or coated copper or something that can't corrode which is nice. The stator cost me around 25-30 dollars so it was inexpensive plus a new stator cover gasket.

I also have a new 400ex carburetor, throttle cable and trx90 thumb throttle on my xr400r.