XR250: which one would you get?

Looking to buy my first XR250R. Right now there are 2 up for sale and I'm not sure which one is the best (I can't really judge from the pictures). From a previous thread I know what to look for when I go see them but just from the images and the information the seller gave me, which one would you choose?

A) XR250R 1989

Gives me an extra oil filter. Had the bike for 1 year. He did: bigger front sprocket, new chain, new breakpads on the front. Said he dismounted the entire rear and lubed everything up etc. Has 25k on the clock but he's not sure if its accurate (also says he doesn't really care when he bought it). He owned it for 1 year, tried to use it for commuting but didn't like it because it was to powerful. Says you have to be careful when riding out the street because it will go up easily. Rides a transalp on the side. It has tyres on it but he doesn't know the brand, some cheap 30 euro/dollar tyres. Wants 850 euro's for it. 

B) XR250R 1994

Had the bike for 10 years, he says 10 years ago he bought it from family (registry checks out and only has had 2 owners) and he knows they also took it easy on the XR. Says its well maintained but has no proofs of this. Only used for rounds around the house/farm. He misplaced the ad (which I think is kinda funny) in the catagory 'farm equipment' instead of 'motorcycles' :). Has 10k on the clock. Wants at least 1000 euros for it (might be able to get it for 950 though). It has a little damage on the seat which is ducktaped. The tyres look allright. Headers are bit rusty. He says he doesn't ride it a lot (probably true because of the dust on the side panels). Photos here: 

Edited by Kokosmakroon

Looking to buy my first XR250R. Right now there are 2 up for sale and I'm not sure which one is the best (I can't really judge from the pictures). From a previous thread I know what to look for when I go see them but just from the images and the information the seller gave me, which one would you choose?
A) XR250R 1989
Gives me an extra oil filter. Had the bike for 1 year. He did: bigger front sprocket, new chain, new breakpads on the front. Said he dismounted the entire rear and lubed everything up etc. Has 25k on the clock but he's not sure if its accurate (also says he doesn't really care when he bought it). He owned it for 1 year, tried to use it for commuting but didn't like it because it was to powerful. Says you have to be careful when riding out the street because it will go up easily. Rides a transalp on the side. It has tyres on it but he doesn't know the brand, some cheap 30 euro/dollar tyres. Wants 850 euro's for it. 
[/url] B) XR250R 1994
Had the bike for 10 years, he says 10 years ago he bought it from family (registry checks out and only has had 2 owners) and he knows they also took it easy on the XR. Says its well maintained but has no proofs of this. Only used for rounds around the house/farm. He misplaced the ad (which I think is kinda funny) in the catagory 'farm equipment' instead of 'motorcycles' :). Has 10k on the clock. Wants at least 1000 euros for it (might be able to get it for 950 though). It has a little damage on the seat which is ducktaped. The tyres look allright. Headers are bit rusty. He says he doesn't ride it a lot (probably true because of the dust on the side panels). Photos here: 

It's basically the same bike. I would ride both see what the issues are. Do a cost analysis. See how much to get each one to your liking. What needs what done to it, etc. which one is more geared for the type of riding you do. Listen for chain slap and overly noisy top end. Look at the drive chain maintenance on both as an over indication of how well the bike was maintained (ignoring completely what they tell you.)

'89 looks like its had the exhaust painted black. '94 surface rust on the header is normal and can be touched up. Make sure there are no dents in the exhaust headers and the bolts are not rusted through. 

More concerning to me is the 25K on the '89. To me that means its ready for a top-end overhaul and a valve adjustment. Bearings and seals are going to be more prone to leaks and needing replacement. At 10K on the '94 you still can ride a while before you need to do any major work. And replacing the seat cover is an easy fix. 

For me I would pay out the extra few quid for the newer 1994 bike with less miles. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys!! @Brolowbowlin: thanks for the good advice, I'll bring this knowledge with me to the viewing :) @ThumperCurtis: exactly that top-end overhaul and valve things is what worries me; I've never done that and I don't want a project-bike: just something that is reliable and can take a beating. Already saw seats online so that shouldn't be a big deal indeed.

Looks-wise I do not really prefer one over the other. I do really like the tyres on the second one, I feel that the tyres on the first one are some cheap dual-sport imitation things that don't have real traction off-pavement. Also, I like the fact that the second one has been owned by the owner for 10 years and that it checks out that it has only had 2 owners, it's probably not raced or badly beaten up. I am not sure what I have to think about the bigger front sprocket on the first one: does this make the bike more touring-capable and takes it away the 'snappy-ness' or does it do the opposite? Overall I have a better feeling about the second one so I will check that one out first.

Edited by Kokosmakroon

17 hours ago, Kokosmakroon said:

Thanks for the replies guys!! @Brolowbowlin: thanks for the good advice, I'll bring this knowledge with me to the viewing :) @ThumperCurtis: exactly that top-end overhaul and valve things is what worries me; I've never done that and I don't want a project-bike: just something that is reliable and can take a beating. Already saw seats online so that shouldn't be a big deal indeed.

Looks-wise I do not really prefer one over the other. I do really like the tyres on the second one, I feel that the tyres on the first one are some cheap dual-sport imitation things that don't have real traction off-pavement. Also, I like the fact that the second one has been owned by the owner for 10 years and that it checks out that it has only had 2 owners, it's probably not raced or badly beaten up. I am not sure what I have to think about the bigger front sprocket on the first one: does this make the bike more touring-capable and takes it away the 'snappy-ness' or does it do the opposite? Overall I have a better feeling about the second one so I will check that one out first.

With a larger drive sprocket it will make it snappy off the line but lower the top end speed. 

No what the other one does or doesn't have, the whole bikes 5 years older on an already 25-30 year old bike. 

Unless you're dismantling and measuring everything before purchase.

I think its hands down to get the newer one.

You really shouldn't buy ANY used dirt bike. But if you do, expect to replace everything. That older one is going to be a pain

No what the other one does or doesn't have, the whole bikes 5 years older on an already 25-30 year old bike. 
Unless you're dismantling and measuring everything before purchase.
I think its hands down to get the newer one.
You really shouldn't buy ANY used dirt bike. But if you do, expect to replace everything. That older one is going to be a pain

You are welcome to assume the newer is better. But I would recommend that one checked out both to make sure. The 10k newer bike could have had the top end starved. The 25k older bike could have a brand new top end. But I guess just assuming that newer is better is always the safe bet?
  • Like 1