Looking for Woods/Enduro bike

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes and am currently off on the exciting journey of picking a bike.  Here is a little background on me for reference. I'm creeping up on 40, currently ride sportbikes on the street and occasionally on the track, put in hundreds of hours on two and four stroke ATVs in my youth.

I'm likely going to be doing trail riding (in PA) with some people I meet here (hopefully), and occasionally with my young kids.  Maybe when my skills develop some I would get into enduros or hare scrambles.  I would like to get the bike plated, but may not try to make it street legal.

I am extremely intrigued by the two stroke enduro bikes (Beta xtrainer and  250/300RR and KTM 250/300 XC) but I'm not sure it makes sense to sink that much $ yet. I have found a few older KTMs that look interesting.

Are there any other good 2 stroke trail bikes that I should be looking at?  Ideally ones that could be found used?

7 hours ago, xplodee said:

Crf230f for a year or two then buy whatever you want

That's pretty good advice. It's a great starter bike(used) that can be re-sold for the purchase price if maintained. That XT is an awesome bike. I just got one for the little lady(coming off a 230), and it's a bike like no other; a relative beginner can ride it, and a more experienced rider can have a lot of fun on it(just ask me!). 

wr200, kdx200/220, ktm200 ect are all very good bikes to learn on and are light weight. 230's are right around the 250lbs mark and feel that way. a 300 is a lot of bike and can get you into trouble very fast