Who carries a spare (sprung) clutch lever?

On my former bikes, I never had the luxury of folding/sprung brake or clutch levers and could never justify the price of one for either the brake or the clutch levers.  Now that the Beta has them on both ends, they have saved me from broken levers several times over for each side.  I used to always carry a spare clutch lever for all those bikes.  

Has anyone ever broken a sprung/flex lever?  Do you carry a spare clutch lever?  

Since using wrap around bark busters, I have not broken a clutch or front brake lever. So, I no longer carry spares. I do carry a small vice grip that would work in a pinch (and for shifting or rear braking as well).

• Like 3

Oh yeah, I don't run any handguards at all, so that is why I'm asking.  

I don't want to run handguards.  

Just now, THE KRAN said:

This I gotta hear.....

ditto....

• Like 1

I've broken/bent both the clutch and brake lever on my Beta, even with handguards. Mostly has to do with my set up, as I run the levers down at a 45. Currently running a folding ARC brake lever and a non-folding(but stronger) Midwest clutch lever.

• Like 1

How about this, has anyone ever themselves broke, or have heard of someone breaking a sprung clutch lever?  

If anyone has ever  broken one then I'll get a spare to carry as having no cluch is no bueno on the trail.  

I run spring clutch and brake lever with flags, and no, dont feel the need to carry spares on the trail. Buried my whole grip multiple times and the levers were unscathed. Have managed to tweaked/bent the clutch lever but it was a massive crash in rocks and i dont run my levers slightly loose. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, livefivetwofive said:

I run spring clutch and brake lever with flags, and no, dont feel the need to carry spares on the trail. Buried my whole grip multiple times and the levers were unscathed. Have managed to tweaked/bent the clutch lever but it was a massive crash in rocks and i dont run my levers slightly loose. 

This is good to know as I have the Beta Brembo levers that go $90 on the Beta USA site.  Good to know that you also don't carry a spare lever.  By "Flags" do you mean that you don't run the full wraparound handguards?  

I ask because I had also buried my clutch lever and while the lever bent-using a propane torch had allowed me to bend it back, but now the lever is tight to bend back the "wrong"-way.

I think that the attachment points got pinched so the springback feature doesn't work as well.  I've thought about prying it apart with a screwdriver and might try  prying it apart when I get home today.  

I do run my levers/perches with teflon tape on the bars, loose enough so they will move a bit if needed.  

• Like 2

Yep simple flags, like MX style and good quality but cheap Psychic spring levers. I reckon youre 99% safe from breaking spring levers with your perches set up like that.

• Like 1

Shit I can't remember breaking levers since Hodaka days. I remember Magura  levers were the shit on early 70's Huskies. They didn't break. And since putting wrap around guards in late 70s I've never broken a lever. I can't stand flag guards too. I've recently ridden a Beta with them and my hands kept getting hit in the trees and pissing me off. For here those flag guards are shitty. Why have guards if they don't guard. I don't need fancy levers. Actually I like the feel of the stock levers better. I also don't use my forefinger /thumb for clutch and brake. I use that to hold the bar and use my middle finger to pinkie for the clutch. ..just different style than some. I think that's a product of riding trail when I was little. It's easier leverage. Now that I have big hands little levers feel stupid and wrong and more so since you have to pay more for them. Buy some good wrap around guards. You also limit your chances of a handle bar end poking into your body in a fall too. It's safer and you don't break levers.

Lets see over 40 years plus riding in trails and racing and no levers broken since.. Now that's a great money saving byproduct of better hand and body protection with wrap around hand guards. I never thought of that. I only thought of just having better guards to protect my hands better. I even many times use some ugly ass moose racing elephant ears mud foam guards to go over my wrap around hand guards to get even better protection from trees and hard branches etc. smash your hands a few times and I've learned. I still get shit from friends on how ugly it looks though but it's the best protection for hands yet for our overgrown grass filled sections of trail that hide stuff that hurts you.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

Uh oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,here we go.

We could ask you when you're going to pick up your new Beta?   Please... you cr is asking you please!! 

Do you know of anyone who carries extra levers these days?? I don't know any.. That's a real old school thing..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I broke a couple of asv levers. 

nothings unbreakable, I guess thats why they arent lifetime garantee anymore.

We got spare levers for my old ladies 125 though, but we keep em in the toolbox

Edited by surfer-dude

Thanks for all the replies. 

I'm going to order a spare, Beta/Brembo, sprung clutch lever.  There can't be any harm with keeping one in my trailbag or, if I can, fit it under the seat, or in the toolbag.  

Now to order a spare lever and the orange airbox cover.  

Here's a good one;

The reason I have been thinking about a spare clutch lever is that the one that I had seemed to have gotten pinched at the attachment point/the bushing so that the springiness got lost and the lever was binding so that if I were to have the clutch lever get hit, it might break instead of springing back due to the increased friction from the lever having gotten pinched in the dump. 

I'm fiddling with the lever not long ago and trying to pry the lever end open so as to open up the pinch.  I sprayed some CRC 656 and viola!  The lever was back to its totally smooth operation.  I must have forced some crap in the bushing causing the lever to not move well, a drop of lube fixed it.  Now I'm still going to wonder if I should carry a spare.  

I do know that the bike will start in gear so maybe if worse ever came to worse, and I did break the lever, so long as I could get the bike going down a slope/hill and hit the starter and get the bike going in 1st or 2nd gear, I could get myself back to the vehicle.