Lighting for a YZ250X

So here is a interesting question, I have the 2016 YZ250x, I am planning on going up to Goldendale Washington for the 25 hours of Starvation Ridge as I haven't done that race since I was in Middle School and I have been bragging about it to my buddies who also want to do it. Now here's the question, I'm on a budget, aka i'm broke and I'm trying not to spend a ton of coin to get a good ridge. I found a bunch of LED lights and LED bar on Amazon and a buddy of mine runs them on his WR. But since (at least to my knowledge) I don't have a stator on the bike. So does anyone know of a cheap stator, or know of good wiring so I could possible run a external batteries for these lights? Thanks in a advance guys!

6 minutes ago, Clutch250f said:

So here is a interesting question, I have the 2016 YZ250x, I am planning on going up to Goldendale Washington for the 25 hours of Starvation Ridge as I haven't done that race since I was in Middle School and I have been bragging about it to my buddies who also want to do it. Now here's the question, I'm on a budget, aka i'm broke and I'm trying not to spend a ton of coin to get a good ridge. I found a bunch of LED lights and LED bar on Amazon and a buddy of mine runs them on his WR. But since (at least to my knowledge) I don't have a stator on the bike. So does anyone know of a cheap stator, or know of good wiring so I could possible run a external batteries for these lights? Thanks in a advance guys!

Best you'll be able to do is run batteries... 

3 minutes ago, Monk said:

Best you'll be able to do is run batteries... 

Hmm you mean like a series of D batteries or more like a small Motorcycle battery? Cause I can't imagine LED's take that much power.

Look into RC batteries.  That's what I use on my YZ250X.  But my lighting is for law compliance only, it's not bright enough to race at night with.

I have 2 batteries under the seat in series for about 14.5v, a small LED headlight, and an LED ebay tail light.  I can run about 5.5 hrs.  Batteries are just under a pound each.  So if you had a few spares in your backpack and a quick way to change them out this may work...  My whole setup with batteries was under $100.

Maybe a helmet mounted light as well?

19 minutes ago, Clutch250f said:

Hmm you mean like a series of D batteries or more like a small Motorcycle battery? Cause I can't imagine LED's take that much power.

Depends in what your trying to accomplish? You can imagine all you want but you need to deal with the reality. A 20w light with a small will do just fine if you never plan on getting out of 1st gear or riding for a long time. Decent lighting requires decent power... Task Racing has some affordable options. I run the 24hr Iron Ironman kit but paired with a 42w Baja designs headlamp. For the 24hr it will be more than enough but I wouldn't settle for anything less... 

http://www.taskracing.com/ironman-24hr-racerpack.html

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Monk said:

Depends in what your trying to accomplish? You can imagine all you want but you need to deal with the reality. A 20w light with a small will do just fine if you never plan on getting out of 1st gear or riding for a long time. Decent lighting requires decent power... Task Racing has some affordable options. I run the 24hr Iron Ironman kit but paired with a 42w Baja designs headlamp. For the 24hr it will be more than enough but I wouldn't settle for anything less... 

http://www.taskracing.com/ironman-24hr-racerpack.html

Well crap... Now I have to save my penny's these are pretty sweet set up! How do you have them mounted to your helmet?

18 minutes ago, Clutch250f said:

Well crap... Now I have to save my penny's these are pretty sweet set up! How do you have them mounted to your helmet?

I have mine mounted on the side, just below the goggle strap... 

I have mine mounted on the side, just below the goggle strap... 
I use that for night rides and early mornings they work great... They also have one that mounts to your bars but the helmet lights work better racing till you loose one off your head... If you are dealing with a ton of dust you will want the orange or yellow lens....they are removable ...

The x does not have enough power .. the best you can add is about 39watts via a stator and the battery options are way brighter

• Like 1

I have a buddy in South Africa that can get me a WR250 light setup...but after doing a little research, I decided against it, because it sucks. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the lighting kits that come on the Euro "WR250" is supplied by MOTO S.p.a. in Italy. They add all components like headlight. taillight, etc., and the lighting coil they use produces the same 35w that everybody else offers, which sadly isn't enough for serious lighting.