How to reset the WS on a KTM trip computer

After searching forever over the Interwebs, I found out how to do it. Thought I'd summarize the process for fellow KTM riders here.

Background: I ran the Michaux Dual Sport event, which uses a standard enduro roll-sheet route. These are based on odometer readings. I noticed that my KTM's trip odometer was reading long, while looking for a turn at say mile 5.1, my odometer would read 5.9 before I could see the turn arrows.

This is normal, tire sizes impact rolling diameter/circumference, so the distance that the computer thinks you've gone can vary. That is why there is a WS (wheel size) parameter on the KTM trip computer. The problem is that while the manual tells you how to set all sorts of stuff like time, lap, average speed, etc. it only talks about displaying the WS and not how to change it. It tells you how to change everything else.

The key is you have to disconnect the Red/Brown/Black three wire connector coming out of the speedo/trip computer. Then when you reboot the trip computer, you have more options.

For me, this was the procedure:

1. Remove the headlight/numberplate
  2. unplug the red/brown/black three wire connector
  3. press + on the trip computer to fire it up
  4. once its booted, press + to cycle through things you can change
  5. keep pressing + until you see WS blinking.
  6. press + again
  7. then + increases the number, and - decreases it.
  8. press until you like the number, for me, this was going from the stock 2250 down to 2058
  9. step away from the bike, let the trip computer know you are done. It will display H hours or whatever your default is
  10. reconnect the red/brown/black three wire connector, on mine, the mating connector from the frame was red/brown/brown
  11. Put the feet of the headlight/numberplate into the holes in the bracket
  12. reconnect the rubber wraps

I may have to adjust it a bit, fine tuning if you will. Will know more at the next official event.

Edited by pat22043
want "vary" not "very"
  • Like 3

That is great information, thank you for posting it. 

I have found it pretty difficult at times to navigate through the settings, this information will be very helpful to me in the future.

I made a rough calculation of the odo error by looking at the mileage on the trip computer vs what my GPS recorded for last weekend's Michaux Dual Sport. I got a 6.67% too long, which would take the stock 2250 value down to 2058. I then measured one rotation of the front tire, by marking the spot of the tire valve on the sidewalk with chalk, then rolling it forward one rotation and measuring the spot of the tire valve the second time. Got 82 1/4" which is 2089mm.  Well within measurement error. So I bet that any number lower than 2100 is going to be more accurate than the stock setup.

• Like 1

pat22043

Thanks I found I had to hold the + button for more than 5 seconds and then presto I was in the set up menu with the WS available!!!

I run the Goldentyre fatty front 90/100/21 and I know the WS is way off. I am very happy to get the way to adjust it. :) 

raymo

I did the Seven Mountains Dual Sport this past weekend. Now my odometer is way short. Either I over did my correction, or their odometer was a bit long when they laid out the route. Easy to adjust it back a bit.

I have no idea how to calibrate it to be "correct". Not sure I even know what correct is. Probably could use a GPS and compare distance run over a 20 mile ride....

The only way I know would be to ride on the highway mile post to mile post to get an ideal of distance, doing 10 miles post to post would be pretty accurate I think.

On GPs mine and my speedo don't agree very often but it is different from day to day,  I could not figure out why it was not the same every time IE 3% or what ever some days it would be close and others it was way off . If I remember right in the set up of GPS I can set how often it takes a  location reading. I found if I set it to very short time I would run out of points on my longer rides and it would eliminate the first ones.

My thoughts are, because of let's say 30 seconds between reading I do a few tight turns the GPS will straight line between points and show up as less miles traveled. .  I think even at slower speeds in a very twisty single track it would shoot straight across the turns because of the time between readings.

Anyway thanks for the information it will make things closer.

Edited by raymo2.0
gps settings- should have checked first but my gps is set to take lacation reading every 500' not time but still figure if there are lots of turns it will straight line betweek every 500' increment.

Just a thought, but what about a moderator making this thread, or at least the original posting, a "Sticky"? Would love to be able to find this months/years from now if I ever need it...

• Like 1

I've found the best way to set wheel size is to mount up the computer, and put a GPS on the bike.  The go out and ride at exactly 50 MPH.  Compare this to your computer's speedo. If the speedo reads 49 MPH then your 2% low.   Take whatever the difference is and multiply it by .02.  If your computer reads 53 MPH and the GPS reads 50 you're 6% high. The formula for the correction amount looks like this 

Correction amount=(GPS MPH 50-Computer MPH)*0.02*current wheel size 

Here is an example for a correction for a computer reading three mph fast at 50 MPH. 

-135=(50-53)*0.02*2250

So, in this case the correct wheel size would be 2250-135=2115

This will produce a computer that reads the correct speed. 

My Man  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Worked swell!  FWIW  I get about 2185 for a Goldentyre "Fatty" front  21-90/100

I am very familiar with doing roll-outs on tires from my years as a bicycle tech

Were you able to reset milage at the resets with the stock odometer?

1 hour ago, iryde said:

yes, you use the up down buttons on the left to reset.  I timekeep with the screen setup in trip2 on the left and the clock on the right corrected to key time. Then print or buy a roll chart set up milage left, time right.  Only real thing you have to touch in the event is toggle the miles up /down at resets,  if you correct at any known posted mileage's checks road x ings etc you'll be good even if you don't adjust your WSize.

Thing to remember to get into the menu, is you have to hold the button when it's in the speed/clock display. But your not having to mess with that once you get you clock set.

also relocate the unit up higher easier to see

roll chart.jpg

Edited by highmarker

Thanks Highmarker. I'm assuming I need to go through the procedure to to add trip functionality to my odometer.  I didn't mention it in my first post, this is for a 2018 bike.  Not sure if it makes that much difference or not.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, iryde said:

I can easily clear the mileage to zero, there are two resettable "trip odometers" on my 2017 300. I don't know how to advance it, if say you need to set it to 17.0. There may be a method, I haven't needed it and have not seen it.