2012 front springs

Up until now I have only done fork oil changes on my stock 2012 suspension. I am a 200lb B rider and plenty happy with the stock set up. I want to change the springs front and rear. I started by purchasing an OEM rear spring. Once replaced the results were astounding, the orginal rear shock certainly needed replacing.                                                                                                                                   Now I need to order the front. Looking for suggestions before I order OEM.

I did not order the rear spring by Rate. I purchased one off a brand new machine on eBay where they upgraded the suspension and had the stock spring leftover. I now need to order front Springs. Looking for a recommendation. Model rate whatever information I need to order that is what I need to know?

Edited by comp123
pressed the wrong button

4 hours ago, comp123 said:

I did not order the rear spring by Rate. I purchased one off a brand new machine on eBay where they upgraded the suspension and had the stock spring leftover. I now need to order front Springs. Looking for a recommendation. Model rate whatever information I need to order that is what I need to know?

Yes, but that is the wrong spring for a 200lb rider....

www.racetech.com

Since I bought this bike brand new, I have been impressed with the WRs stock suspension. I also have a 2015  ktm 250xc  I use for HS. This bike I felt needed improvement. I sent the suspension out, and got a greatly improved XC. The point is, I still prefer My WRs stock performance! So I stuck with the OEM rear spring. Works great for me.

Imagine how good it would work if you had a proper spring for your weight.   As another " big guy " it makes a HUGE difference.

I rode mine for a while with stock springs ( I'm 225lbs )  I too though it was fantastic coming from my 2003 kTM 525 that was sprung for me.   Finally got around to a respring and it was that much better again.  I would have paid twice the $250ish it cost me to get the kind of improvement it made.

Don't think in  " good enough " terms,  it will pay dividends in fatigue and safety for you to do it correctly.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 1:15 PM, comp123 said:

Since I bought this bike brand new, I have been impressed with the WRs stock suspension. I also have a 2015  ktm 250xc  I use for HS. This bike I felt needed improvement. I sent the suspension out, and got a greatly improved XC. The point is, I still prefer My WRs stock performance! So I stuck with the OEM rear spring. Works great for me.

You are missing approximately 2.0" of travel, and are being forced into the bottom half of the travel (the base valving) too soon, so your ride is less that 'plush', or linear in it's stroke.

When you ride and undersprung bike, you are constantly overcompensating for the lack of correct damping, especially rebound, no matter how slight.

It's about control, more than comfort. When the bike is at it's thoretical peak of peformance and control, as the engineers designed it to be, your entire riding experience is greatly enhanced.