Yz250f stalls when put into gear

I purchased a 2004 yamaha yz250f in non running condition with a bunch of new parts including new friction plates, discs, and springs (basket is in good shape without really any grooves). I got the bike running. The clutch is hard to squeeze in and has a weird feel to it. When u start the bike up and put it into gear it stalls instantly even when warm. New clutch cable and the plates are in right with a friction plate at the beginning in end. Adjusting the cable didn't help.

The hard to pull clutch is usually the cable or incorrect routing of the cable.

Although the lever may be hard to pull in, if it completely releases the plates and disc from each other, it shouldn't be the stalling problem.

Is it cutting out electrically  or is it lurching foward and stalling when you put it in gear

If the latter, try holding clutch lever in for 30 secs before you put it into gear as this lets stuck plates free off from each other

Edited by GuyGraham

Sounds like something is causing a bind on the lifting push rod of the clutch.  You probably will need to drain the oil and pull the clutch cover off.  From there you can check the operation of the clutch dry/not running.

I want to say I had a similar issue on a YZ due to the pressure plate not being aligned on the basket.  It was sticking out further than normal, so the springs got compressed further once I bolted them.  I think the pressure plate was actually pressing on the clutch cover as I pulled the lever.  Once I had the cover off, I could tell what was going on.

Also check the parts schematic for it on rockymountainatv.com to make sure all the washers, rods, and that little ball are in the right order.