I'm in the SF Bay Area and I'm anxiously waiting for a dealer in my area to get a white one in. Has anyone seen one in a dealer yet or bought one?

The last new bike I bought was in '06, my YZ450 that I still have and have always been impressed with. Little bit of engine work and a Vortex ignition and it's always pulled like a mofo. This '18 is the first new dirtbike that actually made me want to spend the cash on. Hopefully it will be as good a bike as my '06 has been.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monk said:

Lol, it was too heavy to lift into the box of the truck so I wheeled it back inside and bought a KTM... 

..........but it wouldn't start so I went back in to get the Yamaha and it was sold

• Like 10

If I'm not mistaken I believe I have seen couple '18's down here in Southern California at Chaparral Motorsports. Was there looking at KX 250's and those were 18's as well

Happy Birthday To Me

Happy Birthday To Me

Picked up my 2018 450 yesterday for a birthday present to myself.  It is a beauty!

And the app is way cool.

Edited by MXKyle
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MXKyle said:

Happy Birthday To Me

Happy Birthday To Me

Picked up my 2018 450 yesterday for a birthday present to myself.  It is a beauty!

And the app is way cool.

Better ship it out to the desert so it doesn't mold. I will take good care of it and only ride to church on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

• Like 1

Ok guys, I rode one. HOLY Majolie!!!

So I was on a bunch of waiting lists for months looking forward to getting one of these awesome '18 YZ450's. While I was waiting, we got the idea of buying a boat instead of me getting a new dirtbike. So I bought a Yamaha, but it's a 21' 2017 Yamaha 212 Limited S with twin 1.8L 4's driving jets! It's a friggin blast. So when I started getting the calls from the dealers saying they had an '18 YZ450 for me, I said sorry but I already spent a pile of money on a boat!

So a couple weeks ago my son says "Hey, what if I buy a new bike?" Long story short, HE ended up buying one of the '18 YZ450's I was on the list for! Bast@rd! haha. We went riding today. Dammit but now I have to get one! The bike is INSANELY BETTER THAN ANYTHING I'VE RIDDEN. Seriously. I'm not a newb to bikes either, I'm an A lever rider that's done everything from MX to enduro riding/racing on hundreds of bikes over the last 4 decades. I'm comparing this '18 YZ450 directly to these recently ridden bikes-  A '17 KTM 450SXF, a '17 KTM 300, '07 YZ450, '06 YZ450 with engine/power mods, an '06 YZ250 and an '06 YZ250F. (I have to note that none of these older bikes are clapped out piles. They are all maintained to as-new or better condition. The '06 YZ450 that we rode back to back with the '18 today has the strongest engine of most any year 450, freshly rebuilt suspension and as light as you can reasonably get one of those bikes.)

There's one trait that is most apparent when you ride this new YZ. Every time I got on the bike today I immediately noticed the same difference. Weight. THE BIKE FEELS LIKE A 250 WITH A 450 ENGINE! Seriously, the bike feels REALLY light. We switched back and forth today between the '18 and my favorite bike, my '06 YZ450. We weighed the two bikes last night. Full of fuel, ready to ride the '06 weighed 244lbs. The '18 weighed 248lbs. The '18 was actually 4 pounds heavier than the '06, but it felt 20lbs lighter. Both the bikes were running Scotts dampers. It's crazy how much different the bikes felt as far as weight goes. The '06 is like a freight train, it's stable and solid and just likes to go straight. The '18 feels lively and flickable and will turn at high speeds (I'm talking 60+) WAY easier than the '06. The low speed turning is similar, but it's amazing how easy it is to rotate the '18 compared to the '06.

Amazingly, the power difference isn't huge. That is between an '06 with a Vortex ignition with some engine and exhaust mods. The '06's were strong engines. The very low end hit is actually a little stronger on the '06 than the '18. The midrange is similar, but the '18 just keeps on building more power when the '06 levels out but keeps pulling hard. I did a ton of 4th gear hill climbs that were probably 500' or so, BIG really steep hills that we were doing in the top of 4th gear. (Carnegie for you local guys.) The speeds I was getting on both bikes was VERY similar, but I did end up making my fastest climbs on the '17. It wasn't a huge difference though. If I was on the '06 and just about anyone else was on the '17, I'd have no problem walking away from them on a climb like this. The power is close enough that skill and balls makes more of a difference. Again, seriously. Being able to USE the power makes more difference than if it's there.

Other thoughts... Between the '18 YZ and the '17 KTM 450SXF... SUSPENSION. The KTM suspension is garbage compared to the YZ. (I actually think the KTM suspension is garbage compared to most anything. lol.) NOTHING has suspension like a YZ. This bike is no exception, it just takes it to a higher level. The suspension is amazing. It just works. Big G-out landings? It sucks them right up. Stair-step trails? The stair steps will feel smaller on the YZ than the KTM or most any other bike. Jump faces and landings feel perfect. Brakes are awesome, shifting is awesome and here's another KTM comparison... the YZ clutch action is super smooth where the KTM clutch action is like an on-off switch. The clutch is impressive, the modulation is very consistent and controllable. I'd need a Magura hydraulic clutch on it though, as with all my bikes. The electric start fires the bike on the first try pretty much all the time, hot or cold, in gear or out. I did feel the bottom of the seat a couple times, not a really big deal though.

One of the things I think reviewers have mentioned about the '18 YZ450 is the front end twitchyness or it being a little too "lively". I have the answer to that, it's the same answer I've had on every single bike I've owned since 1996- A Scotts steering damper. I wouldn't ride without one. EVER. I could see the front end being a handful without the damper. My son rode it two times before today without the damper, he didn't like not having one on this bike. I had Eric at Scotts send me the '17 mounts and luckily, THEY FIT! I would not have felt comfortable doing the high speed stuff we were doing today without a damper on that '18.

So what's the bottom line as far as I'M concerned? I guess I'll be spending $11k this monday. lol. Yep, I'll be buying one next week, or as soon as I find one. My '06 will be going up for sale. Yeah, I know I'm mostly comparing a 12 year old bike to this '18, but for those of you that know Yamaha's, you know which bikes were good and which ones were turds. The '06 YZ450 was a good bike. The '06 YZ250 I have is still pretty much the same bike Yamaha sells as an '18 model. My son said it perfectly today when we were comparing a 12 year old bike to a brand new model... His good friend has the '17 KTM450SXF. My son said he'd take my '06 over that '17 KTM in a second. No question. The suspension on the '06 is better, the power is better, the shifting and clutch are better, and the lighter weight of the KTM doesn't feel any different than the '06 because it's still 20 year old dirtbike design. That's a BIG DEAL right there... the KTM doesn't feel light, the '18 YZ DOES. The '18 YZ weighs more than the KTM. The KTM feels heavier, and it's not something that's hard to distinguish the difference on, the YZ feels WAY lighter than the '17 KTM. I'm telling you, the '18 YZ450 feels more like my 2 stroke YZ250 than any 450 I've ridden lately.

There you go guys, an '18 YZ450 ride report from a "regular" guy. (Not a magazine guy or pro rider.) It impressed me enough that I'm going to buy one as soon as I find one.

Edited by William1
fixed typo-Circumventing
  • Like 9

On 10/21/2017 at 11:55 PM, gmtech16450yz (motobark) said:
Ok guys, I rode one. HOLY majolie!!!
So I was on a bunch of waiting lists for months looking forward to getting one of these awesome '18 YZ450's. While I was waiting, we got the idea of buying a boat instead of me getting a new dirtbike. So I bought a Yamaha, but it's a 21' 2017 Yamaha 212 Limited S with twin 1.8L 4's driving jets! It's a friggin blast. So when I started getting the calls from the dealers saying they had an '18 YZ450 for me, I said sorry but I already spent a pile of money on a boat!
So a couple weeks ago my son says "Hey, what if I buy a new bike?" Long story short, HE ended up buying one of the '18 YZ450's I was on the list for! Bast@rd! haha. We went riding today. Dammit but now I have to get one! The bike is INSANELY BETTER THAN ANYTHING I'VE RIDDEN. Seriously. I'm not a newb to bikes either, I'm an A lever rider that's done everything from MX to enduro riding/racing on hundreds of bikes over the last 4 decades. I'm comparing this '18 YZ450 directly to these recently ridden bikes-  A '17 KTM 450SXF, a '17 KTM 300, '07 YZ450, '06 YZ450 with engine/power mods, an '06 YZ250 and an '06 YZ250F. (I have to note that none of these older bikes are clapped out piles. They are all maintained to as-new or better condition. The '06 YZ450 that we rode back to back with the '18 today has the strongest engine of most any year 450, freshly rebuilt suspension and as light as you can reasonably get one of those bikes.)
There's one trait that is most apparent when you ride this new YZ. Every time I got on the bike today I immediately noticed the same difference. Weight. THE BIKE FEELS LIKE A 250 WITH A 450 ENGINE! Seriously, the bike feels REALLY light. We switched back and forth today between the '18 and my favorite bike, my '06 YZ450. We weighed the two bikes last night. Full of fuel, ready to ride the '06 weighed 244lbs. The '18 weighed 248lbs. The '18 was actually 4 pounds heavier than the '06, but it felt 20lbs lighter. Both the bikes were running Scotts dampers. It's crazy how much different the bikes felt as far as weight goes. The '06 is like a freight train, it's stable and solid and just likes to go straight. The '18 feels lively and flickable and will turn at high speeds (I'm talking 60+) WAY easier than the '06. The low speed turning is similar, but it's amazing how easy it is to rotate the '18 compared to the '06.
Amazingly, the power difference isn't huge. That is between an '06 with a Vortex ignition with some engine and exhaust mods. The '06's were strong engines. The very low end hit is actually a little stronger on the '06 than the '18. The midrange is similar, but the '18 just keeps on building more power when the '06 levels out but keeps pulling hard. I did a ton of 4th gear hill climbs that were probably 500' or so, BIG really steep hills that we were doing in the top of 4th gear. (Carnegie for you local guys.) The speeds I was getting on both bikes was VERY similar, but I did end up making my fastest climbs on the '17. It wasn't a huge difference though. If I was on the '06 and just about anyone else was on the '17, I'd have no problem walking away from them on a climb like this. The power is close enough that skill and balls makes more of a difference. Again, seriously. Being able to USE the power makes more difference than if it's there.
Other thoughts... Between the '18 YZ and the '17 KTM 450SXF... SUSPENSION. The KTM suspension is garbage compared to the YZ. (I actually think the KTM suspension is garbage compared to most anything. lol.) NOTHING has suspension like a YZ. This bike is no exception, it just takes it to a higher level. The suspension is amazing. It just works. Big G-out landings? It sucks them right up. Stair-step trails? The stair steps will feel smaller on the YZ than the KTM or most any other bike. Jump faces and landings feel perfect. Brakes are awesome, shifting is awesome and here's another KTM comparison... the YZ clutch action is super smooth where the KTM clutch action is like an on-off switch. The clutch is impressive, the modulation is very consistent and controllable. I'd need a Magura hydraulic clutch on it though, as with all my bikes. The electric start fires the bike on the first try pretty much all the time, hot or cold, in gear or out. I did feel the bottom of the seat a couple times, not a really big deal though.
One of the things I think reviewers have mentioned about the '18 YZ450 is the front end twitchyness or it being a little too "lively". I have the answer to that, it's the same answer I've had on every single bike I've owned since 1996- A Scotts steering damper. I wouldn't ride without one. EVER. I could see the front end being a handful without the damper. My son rode it two times before today without the damper, he didn't like not having one on this bike. I had Eric at Scotts send me the '17 mounts and luckily, THEY FIT! I would not have felt comfortable doing the high speed stuff we were doing today without a damper on that '18.
So what's the bottom line as far as I'M concerned? I guess I'll be spending $11k this monday. lol. Yep, I'll be buying one next week, or as soon as I find one. My '06 will be going up for sale. Yeah, I know I'm mostly comparing a 12 year old bike to this '18, but for those of you that know Yamaha's, you know which bikes were good and which ones were turds. The '06 YZ450 was a good bike. The '06 YZ250 I have is still pretty much the same bike Yamaha sells as an '18 model. My son said it perfectly today when we were comparing a 12 year old bike to a brand new model... His good friend has the '17 KTM450SXF. My son said he'd take my '06 over that '17 KTM in a second. No question. The suspension on the '06 is better, the power is better, the shifting and clutch are better, and the lighter weight of the KTM doesn't feel any different than the '06 because it's still 20 year old dirtbike design. That's a BIG DEAL right there... the KTM doesn't feel light, the '18 YZ DOES. The '18 YZ weighs more than the KTM. The KTM feels heavier, and it's not something that's hard to distinguish the difference on, the YZ feels WAY lighter than the '17 KTM. I'm telling you, the '18 YZ450 feels more like my 2 stroke YZ250 than any 450 I've ridden lately.
There you go guys, an '18 YZ450 ride report from a "regular" guy. (Not a magazine guy or pro rider.) It impressed me enough that I'm going to buy one as soon as I find one.

I’m sold! Awesome review!!

I rode mine for the first time yesterday. I bought it for a dedicated snowbike. I ride only mountains Other bike is a 16 300 xc. It took a few hours to get used to it but it actually felt pretty good on the trails. It has nice handling and felt light and flickable. The power was too much for the trails but fun as hell. Starting mine was not as clean as the 16 450fx we had in our group the 18 needed barley tension on the throttle cable to start. I am wondering if switching maps will improve that the worsen it. I tried switching maps on the trail but learned when I got home The bike needs to be shut off and my phone needed to be in airplane mode. To be critical on every aspect of the bike handling suspension power clutch brakes the starting was the only flaw I found. Great bike