How many kicks

So I've got a '16 that I bought a couple months ago with 45hrs on it the bike was in excellent condition and clear it had been cared for. So I've noticed it pretty much always takes 4 kicks when cold and 1-2 once it's warm to get it to fire. Once it's really hot it's more like 2-3 and I'm just wondering is this normal?

What are the rest of you experiencing?

my 03 ktm450sx - 1 kick cold - 1 kick warm - or e-start

have you checked your valve clearances ?

My 14 yz450f has been like that since new atleast 3 normally 4 kicks when cold, if it's at normal running temps it will start first kick but if it starts to get hot and I stall it it takes a couple kicks and my valves are spot on haven't budged since new now at 100hrs

My 14 yz450f has been like that since new atleast 3 normally 4 kicks when cold, if it's at normal running temps it will start first kick but if it starts to get hot and I stall it it takes a couple kicks and my valves are spot on haven't budged since new now at 100hrs

Sounds like yours is the same as mine so I'm guessing it's just a normal thing

On 8/24/2017 at 0:52 AM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

my 03 ktm450sx - 1 kick cold - 1 kick warm - or e-start

have you checked your valve clearances ?

All Hail the carb'd bikes!  Mines 2 soft 1 hard cold w choke on.  From then on, hot start with 1 kick.

My brother in laws 2012 C4F450R is always 3 kicks...hot cold...dont matter. Efi bikes seem to need more kicking to get them busted off.  Weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeyKeeper said:

All Hail the carb'd bikes!  Mines 2 soft 1 hard cold w choke on.  From then on, hot start with 1 kick.

My brother in laws 2012 C4F450R is always 3 kicks...hot cold...dont matter. Efi bikes seem to need more kicking to get them busted off.  Weird.

Id rather carbed bike than EFI - especially out in the middle of nowhere on some of the long rides i do

18 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Id rather carbed bike than EFI - especially out in the middle of nowhere on some of the long rides i do

No way I'd ever go back to carb... EFI has more than proven it's reliability and no fussing with jetting is f'ing awesome!! :)

• Like 1

98 yz400f here, one kick every time!

Does take a few extra if it's been sitting for awhile, but those don't really count as that's cycling the motor with the decompression lever engaged to draw in some fresh fuel, and then one actual "start" kick.

2006 YZ450f - 1 kick cold with choke, 1 kick warm after normal shut down, 2 soft 1-2 hard kicks after a get off with the hotstart. 

This is with a clean AF, if I dont have a clean AF it seems to take at least 1-2 more kicks then usual. My bike seems very sensitive to how dirty the AF is. 

• Like 1

Sounds like its a little rich.  If filter is dirty it causes more "suction" on the carb circuits and pulls extra fuel. Bet you give the mix screw 1/8 turn in and it will not be so picky and start easier after a ditch.

Perfectly normal. My 12 is exactly like that. I have read here on thumper talk that when starting these bikes cold, it takes 3 kicks to charge the capacitor to fire the efi system. When I start mine, first three kicks are just smooth and easy. Put some umph into the 4th and it starts everytime. Come 2018 this will no longer be an issue lol. My 04 smoker starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime, even after a stall!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 6:24 AM, KeyKeeper said:

Sounds like its a little rich.  If filter is dirty it causes more "suction" on the carb circuits and pulls extra fuel. Bet you give the mix screw 1/8 turn in and it will not be so picky and start easier after a ditch.

Thanks for the advice. It was actually real hard to start when warm when I went riding 2 weeks ago which was unusual as it usually fires right up. Im gonna try to adjust the mixture screw after I finish with my timing chain replacement/valve clearance check. Was gonna clean the carb too since my bike was sitting for a while. 

I find my 450 new to me is a different animal to start.  Its also EFI.   I was told that the motor should be a tdc and a good full kick to start it.

I really hate people saying "TDC".  It ain't TDC when you begin feeling resistance; it's partially through the compression stroke.

Regardless, cold on my 2011 is always 3 kicks, I've always assumed it took 1-2 kicks to get enough power to get all the EFI stuff going, then 3rd kick it starts.  Starting it back right after cutting off it's almost always 1 kick

I've got my old carbed wr down to a science. If it hasn't been started in a very long time I lean it over until gas runs out the overflow, three twists of the throttle and always one kick. If it's just cold, hasn't been run in a few days, two twists and one kick. When warm always one kick or push the button. I rejetted the bike once many years ago, runs perfect. EFI probably is a little snappier but it's not that great.