Convert YZ250FX to Dual-Sport or Sell for a new Dual-Sport?

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 2016 YZ250FX not too long ago, and before I bought it, I had no intentions on converting it into a dual-sport. Now, after riding alot of the trails behind my house, I'm finding myself pretty limited on trail exploration and wanting to drive on some pavement in order to find other cool stuff to go riding on.... I'm wondering whether selling my bike for a dual-sport such as the WR250F/WR450F or Converting my existing YZ250FX using a conversion kit and whatever else you need is the better idea? My area has some pretty rough terrain and some steep rocky hills that im going to need to throw at the bike. Any advice would be appreciated!

If you can easily plate the X, then I'd say do so. The WRs need a dual sport kit as they don't come with a brake light (or switches), high beam (and indicator), horn or mirror.

I think it will be tougher to plate your YZ than a WR, Yamaha makes a WR250 dualsport, not the 450, you'd need a kit for that. Your YZ would need another stator to get the proper lighting equipment to work

The X model has the same stator as the WR as it has e-start.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveCR said:

I didn't know that

i converted my 450fx to dual sport and I'd recommend it. They're lighter and don't come with any of that Californian emissions BS. 

And the stuff you have to add for street legal is very minimal and can be done real cheap. I'd say if you just need to commute on roads around town / trails do it. 

6 hours ago, DaveCR said:

The 250FX 4t or the 250X 2t? I'm confused on which model you are mentioning? 

On 8/24/2017 at 0:33 AM, auraghost said:

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 2016 YZ250FX not too long ago, and before I bought it, I had no intentions on converting it into a dual-sport. Now, after riding alot of the trails behind my house, I'm finding myself pretty limited on trail exploration and wanting to drive on some pavement in order to find other cool stuff to go riding on.... I'm wondering whether selling my bike for a dual-sport such as the WR250F/WR450F or Converting my existing YZ250FX using a conversion kit and whatever else you need is the better idea? My area has some pretty rough terrain and some steep rocky hills that im going to need to throw at the bike. Any advice would be appreciated!

The FX is a great platform for a dualsport... 

So i'm gonna say something unpopular but get a WR250r.  Yeah out of the box they are lame compared to the F model 250s but after I did the PCV tuned with a laptop, exhaust, put it on a diet (tossed emissions parts and other crap), and then swapped in a 450 suspension with a revalve and respring, other odds and ends, then sold all the stock parts.........it kicks ass, needs little to no maintenance, and cruises highways like a dream compared to a MX bike.  

I ride with guys mainly on 2 stroke KTMs and Huskys,  Bombing through single track and the woods it holds its own comfortably.  I'll swap bikes with guys and it shocks them how it feels now.  Best part is it's about as bullet proof reliable as it can ever get.         

IMG_20170905_062549.jpg

My FX is street plated. I lucked out though and just had the right person at the registration office. No lights, blinkers or anything. They just took my word for it. 

Just now, ckny said:

My FX is street plated. I lucked out though and just had the right person at the registration office. No lights, blinkers or anything. They just took my word for it. 

Holy crap you did luck out. Send it!!

1 minute ago, KERZ said:

Holy crap you did luck out. Send it!!

The only time it sees pavement is short sections to link trails in rural areas. I do most of my riding from my driveway. Trail head is about 400 feet away. That takes me to hundreds of kms of trails.