Romney1

Xr250r starting

How many kicks is normal for stone coldstart up on these bikes ? 

Cheers 

Its only been rebuilt 100 miles ago and set them to manual spec , it was always a first kicker hot or cold but had the issue with fuel pissing out the overflow have fitties new carb kit and now cold takes about 6 kicks . Hot first time no mater what 

• Like 1

are you using your choke on cold start up now????  with out a pumper carb it takes a few revolutions of the engine to draw the fuel up through the carb to the combustion chamber. hence most like to change carbs. with a fuel pump carb one good twist of the throttle squirts a stream of fuel strait down the venturi of the carb priming the engine with out kicking. allowing the engine to fire on first kick.

Half choke. no throttle and leaving the idle

screw in its position.

normally takes 4 kicks now .

starts fisrt kick every time if been run 

full choke bike doesn't start .

curios  have you tried full choke for one kick then back to half to start?  im wondering if there is a sequence that will allow you to start it with less kicks? not that 4 is bad. sounds like you have most of your carb issues sorted.... you got it dirty yet??

I havnt tried that i will try but i know it will not start on choke full first kick with full choke it seems to fire up but then not start 

its just annoying as it started first kick every time before hand ,

yes been out for a full weekend on it was great. It really comes alive on the dirt .

seems to pull up any hill it hits ,  

mmmm worth a go......might start in 2 kicks? ether way not that bad.

good fun getting out to sling some mud.  im looking forward to getting out again myself.

Will try when i get back and report .

I do love the bike im thinking of a 400 supermoto one more for the road next 

My '81 starts with one kick if I don't forget the choke.  80+ degrees half choke.  Colder full choke.  As soon as it starts I go to half choke and ride it a hundred feet and take the choke off while moving.  In extreme cold I turn in the idle adjuster until warm.

My bike only has the automatic decompression system.  I do not try to find any particular rotation to start:  I just swing out the kick starter and give it a good boot.

I'm the third owner, have no idea how many miles, but they have all been dirt on a big farm.

tom

Did as you said full choke one kick fired so dropped to half choke second kick started , so im happy with that . Better than 4 ,

sweet  things might change as the engine runs in. at least your foot will get a rest in the mean time.

Small update to my previous post:

Yesterday I went out to run the bike to the  mailbox.  Gave it two kicks and it didn't start.  What?  I turned the gas to reserve, gave it about 10 seconds to fill the carb, gave it another kick, and away she goes.  If mine won't start on two, something is wrong.  One thing I didn't mention about is that I have always started bikes by rolling the throttle open as I kick it.  Not sure if this really helps or not, but after 56 years of riding two wheeled machines, it just seems natural. 

One argument against the throttle opening is that it revs up momentarily, and it hasn't had time to build oil pressure.  Hasn't seemed to hurt anything, but a purist might prefer to find a way with the throttle at idle.

happy trails,  tom

Each XR seems to have its own personality.  They all seem to have their little quirks and starting procedure that works well for that bike.  My 03 250R will normally start 2-3 kicks if its been sitting a few days, 1 kick hot, and if its just warm it sometimes can be several kicks to start.  Screwing the idle up a bit seems to help it start.  But, one thing I have to say for all Hondas, they are cold blooded beasts, every one I have ever owned, both street and dirt.

not sure what year xr250r but they seem to have 4 wires..... white/yellow, yellow, pink and green got a pic out of my manual hope it helps.

xr250r wire dia 001.JPG

xr250r wire dia 002.JPG

1 minute ago, vicxr400 said:

not sure what year xr250r but they seem to have 4 wires..... white/yellow, yellow, pink and green got a pic out of my manual hope it helps.

xr250r wire dia 001.JPG

xr250r wire dia 002.JPG

Thank you!

• Like 1