'00/'01 bottom end switcharoo

The bike I bought ('01 CR250) in April has a '00 bottom end. Well, the numbers on the left case behind the gear shifter (6211711) indicate it's from '00. Eventually I'll have to rebuild and need to know if the two years are interchangable. The story goes that the original owner wrecked it with 10 total hours on it, took it apart, and stored it until the guy I bought it from got it. I'd hate to buy parts for an '00 only to find out it's actually an '01 with a '00 left case. Thanks, this has been on my mind since I discovered the swap.

I own an 01 and from most of the reading I've done the 00 & 01 ate practically identical. You always want to cross check p/n's tho to be safe. My 01 is the best bike I've ever owned I'll never get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

Cool. I did check the Honda product number for the left case and both years are the same. That doesn't give me 100% confidence and Honda will only tell you to go see a local dealer, who in turn is probably just guessing. 317 posted a great wealth of info on the CR and one of the upgrades on the '01 was an improvement to the case. I don't know what that means. Subtle differences could prove costly for me. The good thing is that I've got time to find out. Like you, I will never sell it. In ten years I'll know every mm of that bike and be too old to ride it like it should be. My son will be 17...