Yz 125 oils

I'm wondering if you guys know any oil that I can use for my 125 that doesn't cost 15 per oil change like the Ams oil I'm using now. If you know any oil that works with wet clutches and I don't have to spend a lot on please let me know

Wal Mart Diesel oil, Rotella white bottle or cheap Wally ATF Type F are the cheapest to use.

• Like 1

Wal Mart Diesel oil, Rotella white bottle or cheap Wally ATF Type F are the cheapest to use.

Will rotella still work well with the wet clutch?

2-stroke gearboxes usually aren't picky, anything from a 'thin' ATF to a more viscous 15W-40 will work.

I've tried them all including expensive stuff and for my usage found a diesel rated 10W-30 shifts the best.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Atf type F = cheap! Rotella is a superb oil but will hang the clutches a bit til it gets warmed up but quality is excellent!

Edited by Smoking 2's
Because
  • Like 1

Like the other guy said above--smokers don't care.  I use whatever 10w40 is on sale, or the Rotella stuff.  

Maybe it's just my imagination, but there was a brief period in my life where I was using motorcycle specific gearbox oils, and it actually seemed like I started having clutch issues.

I've never been able to detect any "shift quality" differences between various types of oils.  I'm not saying they are not there.  I just can't tell myself, as I'm usually too focused on avoiding trees to be pondering my gearbox function.

• Like 1

Clutch drag as mentioned, especially cold, is the only difference I've ever felt between oils. For dead engine starts less clutch drag is more critical.

In my case it's not really clutch feel but actually shift quality, for some reason

either with thin ATF-F or thicker 15W-40 and everything in between I was getting regular missed shifts/false neutrals.

An on-going problem during a 4 year period no matter the lubricant I tried but since the switch to

a cheap (re-branded) diesel rated 10W-30 last season, that issue has become pretty much non-existant.

Even the expensive Motul TransOil 10W-30 did not shift this well.

Edited by mlatour

Like the other guy said above--smokers don't care.  I use whatever 10w40 is on sale, or the Rotella stuff.  
Maybe it's just my imagination, but there was a brief period in my life where I was using motorcycle specific gearbox oils, and it actually seemed like I started having clutch issues.
I've never been able to detect any "shift quality" differences between various types of oils.  I'm not saying they are not there.  I just can't tell myself, as I'm usually too focused on avoiding trees to be pondering my gearbox function.

Haha thank you, and yes I agree my clutch seems to be slipping a little after the new oil so I'm hoping the rotella will fix that

I use this, get at most auto parts stores.IMG_1857.thumb.jpg.e40bfe4ec1f8085c1ad8da7d57be691e.jpg
Cost $9.99 a quart.

I run the 20-50 full synthetic in my Harley and 10-40 in everything else good stuff been doing it for years