Yz 125 oils

2-stroke gearboxes usually aren't picky, anything from a 'thin' ATF to a more viscous 15W-40 will work.

I've tried them all including expensive stuff and for my usage found a diesel rated 10W-30 shifts the best.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Like the other guy said above--smokers don't care.  I use whatever 10w40 is on sale, or the Rotella stuff.  

Maybe it's just my imagination, but there was a brief period in my life where I was using motorcycle specific gearbox oils, and it actually seemed like I started having clutch issues.

I've never been able to detect any "shift quality" differences between various types of oils.  I'm not saying they are not there.  I just can't tell myself, as I'm usually too focused on avoiding trees to be pondering my gearbox function.

• Like 1

In my case it's not really clutch feel but actually shift quality, for some reason

either with thin ATF-F or thicker 15W-40 and everything in between I was getting regular missed shifts/false neutrals.

An on-going problem during a 4 year period no matter the lubricant I tried but since the switch to

a cheap (re-branded) diesel rated 10W-30 last season, that issue has become pretty much non-existant.

Even the expensive Motul TransOil 10W-30 did not shift this well.

Edited by mlatour

Like the other guy said above--smokers don't care.  I use whatever 10w40 is on sale, or the Rotella stuff.  
Maybe it's just my imagination, but there was a brief period in my life where I was using motorcycle specific gearbox oils, and it actually seemed like I started having clutch issues.
I've never been able to detect any "shift quality" differences between various types of oils.  I'm not saying they are not there.  I just can't tell myself, as I'm usually too focused on avoiding trees to be pondering my gearbox function.

Haha thank you, and yes I agree my clutch seems to be slipping a little after the new oil so I'm hoping the rotella will fix that

• 1 month later...