Neutral, at a stop, I finally found you! It only took 1,215 miles

Like many others, there was no way to find neutral idling at a standstill.  The other day I was at a light and had left the bike in gear when I had stopped and lightly touched down on the shifter and it went into neutral.  Now that I've been able to get neutral the same way every time I go to stop, by lightly touching down on the shifter, it slips into neutral every time.  Trying to lift up is a lot harder and after trying and trying, I don't bother.  I just go up into 2nd and touch down ever so slightly and I can feel it go into neutral every time.  

This is after some 1,200 miles and 57 hours.  

• Like 2

Just now, THE KRAN said:

What is this neutral thing you refer to ?

Ha, on this Beta board, it is as elusive as the female orgasm.  

At least I seem to have found the secret and have found that indeed, the box has loosened up from me hammering on it for so long.  

I also think that the neutral clutch-creep has gone away as well.  I did, though, get very good at making sure I was in neutral before I came to a stop knowing I'd not find it once stopped.  

• Like 1

I even put the 2018 shift star in mine, thinking that might be the fix.

That was a waste of an hour of my life.

Still the same, I'm sure it's the dogs on the gears and mine has done

4000 miles

• Like 1

LOL, yep finding neutral is a hassle.  Having to shut off the bike to get off or clean goggles or whatever is stupid.  Like Ben, I'm just now starting to get it...sometimes....and that's with the clutch lever adjusted for maximum travel and pulled all the way in AND clicking down from the second...

I've had real good luck with reducing dragging clutches in smokers by using Type F tranny fluid.  I read a post by a guy who said all the clutch drag (and neutral) problems went away on his 390 when he put the type F in.  The only reason I haven't used it yet is that I'm not sure how it would affect the plastic oil pump gears, but I think I'm going to do it next oil change, and see what happens.  I talked to the dealer about it when I bought the bike, as we all were aware of the dragging clutch issue (he owns a beta too) and he thought the type F might not be a bad experiment also as he also used it in his smokers.

Hmmm, I had my plastic gears swapped to the steel gears so I suppose I could try the Type-F as I might have some laying around.  

I'm leaving work in 2 minutes and I'll see if the clutch even drags anymore as I haven't noticed it in a while and this is while street-riding where it happens a lot easier due to the smooth pavement.  

It's a pain in the arse, and totally unacceptable in a modern bike.  Such a basic issue should not be recurring in this day and age.  I LOVE Betas but I can not overlook this fault.  I've tried all the usual suggested fixes and i am now pretty fed up with bleeding the slave again and again.  Is it really too much to ask that brand new and/or recent bikes should select all their gears plus neutral easily and slickly?  I had that decades ago on bikes with far more performance than a 450 single.... 

I have never had a bike of any brand that was really easy to find neutral while sitting still with the clutch pulled in, just learned to grab it as I was coming to a stop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I have never had a bike of any brand that was really easy to find neutral while sitting still with the clutch pulled in, just learned to grab it as I was coming to a stop.

S'funny as every single of the bikes I've ever owned, or even ridden, must be at least 2 dozen dirtbikes of all brands and from the 70's till now, I have never had any sort of an issue with finding neutral with the bike idling and going from 1st or 2nd to neutral, a NON-issue for every other bike out there.  

The contemporary, or "modern" day Beta is the lone exception.  Odd.  

I had tried my 2nd to neutral-testing again on my 6 mile ride home and as long as I keep steady, very gentle downward pressure, the shifter will allow the gear to slide into neutral.  Before there was no chance.  Going from 1 to N seems to also be getting better but I'll never expect it to just go in like every other bike out there.  

I'll admit, I have gotten very used to making sure I got the bike into N anytime I know I was going to come to a stop for any amount of time and idling.  

14 minutes ago, MFGamesta said:

Grats!

Can you kick it yet?

Thanks, ha!  

Yes, I've been able to kickstart the bike from day  1.  

I had the kickstarter recoil repaired under warranty a few weeks ago and had kicked the bike over while wearing my old work-shoes.  It was not easy as if the sole of the shoe is not thick, it hurts the bottom of my foot as I can feel the kickstarter against the foot.  With my riding boots on it is a lot easier as there is no pain from the thin metal rod trying to dig into the arch of one's foot.  

I used to ride CR500R's and got used to starting them really easily.   The Beta 500/478cc motor is a LOT harder to kick over.