Conditioning Training For Hare Scramble

Hi everyone.  Still training for my first hare scramble coming up next month.  Finally just got off my butt and started exercising because I'm still getting bad arm pump.

Rewind 15 years ago...  I was kickboxing and fighting MMA and training 5-7 days a week, most times 2 or 3 times a day.  At age 30, I got into management, stopped fighting, stopped training and exercising.

My real question, aside from cranking out cardio on the elliptical, what types of exercises are good for training your arms for pump?

Riding more is usually how I stop getting arm pump.

With that said elliptical, stationary (or mtn/road) biking, running, swimming help. It almost doesn't matter that much as long as you have your heart rate up enough. Additionally, weight training CAN help usually in the form of low weight high reps.

I try to alternate cardio/weight days, make sure I'm hydrated, and warmed up before a race.  All those in combination of riding enough I feel comfortable, eliminates all arm pump for me.

EDIT: And of course stretching! I try to stretch everyday.

Edited by EEE299
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Monk said:

Stretching and riding... Diet also plays a huge part...

I'd like to hear more about diet. I rode the other day and had horrible arm pump, worse than normal. I was thinking it might be food related because nothing else had really changed. 

Ive been road biking but I don't think it's the best. It's hard to keep your heart rate up unless your going up a lot of hills. 

I bought some TRX suspension system straps a few days ago and have done one workout, these are awesome! Won't do much for cardiovascular health but strength should go way up. 

59 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

I'd like to hear more about diet. I rode the other day and had horrible arm pump, worse than normal. I was thinking it might be food related because nothing else had really changed. 

Ive been road biking but I don't think it's the best. It's hard to keep your heart rate up unless your going up a lot of hills. 

I bought some TRX suspension system straps a few days ago and have done one workout, these are awesome! Won't do much for cardiovascular health but strength should go way up. 

Diet is so subjective... What works for me might not work for you. But there are some universal truths such as drinking plenty of water, calorie consumption etc etc.

For me personally, caffeine can be a real killer. More so in dose and timing...A cup of coffee 3-5hrs before a ride won't bother me, but about an hour before I can pump up bad...

Water intake doesn't phase me as much but when I play ride, but when I practice it makes a huge difference. I've gone through a lot of trial and error and everyday I'm still learning.

TRX bands are great for core strength as are squats. So many guys don't train legs so they need to hold on tighter with their hands so they don't get tired.

I regularly run with a 23lb weight vest and then every 5-7min stop and do 20-30 squats. I'll do this over 5miles with my squat count going up over a 100 everytime...

Intuitive training/eating is extremely under used... Do what your body feels like it needs to do, and just do a little extra and you'll be improving everyday... 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Monk said:

Diet is so subjective... What works for me might not work for you. But there are some universal truths such as drinking plenty of water, calorie consumption etc etc.

For me personally, caffeine can be a real killer. More so in dose and timing...A cup of coffee 3-5hrs before a ride won't bother me, but about an hour before I can pump up bad...

Water intake doesn't phase me as much but when I play ride, but when I practice it makes a huge difference. I've gone through a lot of trial and error and everyday I'm still learning.

TRX bands are great for core strength as are squats. So many guys don't train legs so they need to hold on tighter with their hands so they don't get tired.

I regularly run with a 23lb weight vest and then every 5-7min stop and do 20-30 squats. I'll do this over 5miles with my squat count going up over a 100 everytime...

Intuitive training/eating is extremely under used... Do what your body feels like it needs to do, and just do a little extra and you'll be improving everyday... 

I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine as well. Doesn't give me energy or anything, unfortunately it makes me cramp bad. I drink nothing but water and plenty of water, especially race week. 

Ive always wanted to run but it is rough on my knees. Figured biking would be better. Started off with a mountain bike and hardly rode it because it required loading up and going somewhere. With the road bike I can open the garage door and go. My last ride was only 16 miles, I'm fairly new to this whole "let's get in shape" thing. Every time I ride I get a little bit better at it, keeping a good pedal RPM's is key it seems like. 

11 hours ago, LukeYZ426F said:

For me at least, arm pump is almost entirely technique related. At the beginning of a ride/race, I was often pretty tense and would get arm pump for the first 20 minutes. I eventually was able to train myself to be a little looser on the bike and it went away.

As far as the road bike, if you aren't getting your HR up, just ride harder. Aim for a cadence around 90-100 rpm, this will work your heart more and be less taxing on the legs. Incorporate intervals into your cycling. Definitely train with a heart rate monitor and figure out your true max HR(the 220-age isn't really accurate.) Also find your threshold HR(intensity that you can hold for an hour or so.) Use these to figure out the HR zones you want to target for different workouts.

• Like 1

Swing a hammer for 8 hours days 5 times a week. You'll never get arm pump. Grips and gloves have a lot to do with numbness.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2017 at 1:53 PM, LukeYZ426F said:

Grip your bike more with your legs and your armpump will disappear. 

• Like 2

About a week ago, I decided to start body building.  Came to the conclusion that I wasn't at all happy with that current state of strength and conditioning.  As it would be, my wife started exercising over 2 months ago to lose weight.  She's been doing awesome and lost 20 pounds already!  I got inspiration from her and a guy she follows on YouTube who went from 360 pounds to 180 and ripped AF.  Truth is I've been underweight for my height my entire life (6'1" 170 pounds), so my goal is to put on 15 pounds of muscle and get up to 185-190 where I should be.

Anyway, race is 2 weeks away.  I'll definitely be in better shape by race day.  I also downloaded a macros app which is really helping me track my calories and nutrition.  The app will help me stay on track and make sure I'm getting enough calories, protein and water.  It even has motocross as a form of exercise, so I'll even be able to track burned calories while riding and get notifications if I need more water.

• Like 1

Strength will help your riding but don't forget how important cardio is for long races like hare scrambles.

This is not meant to sound negative, but 2 weeks is not really long enough to see significant improvements from any training. Of course you should still do it, but do not get discouraged when it takes time.

18 minutes ago, EEE299 said:

Strength will help your riding but don't forget how important cardio is for long races like hare scrambles.

This is not meant to sound negative, but 2 weeks is not really long enough to see significant improvements from any training. Of course you should still do it, but do not get discouraged when it takes time.

I do 20-30 minutes of cardio everyday.  Never said I was getting buff already, just mentioned I'm feeling better than I did.  I don't plan on being cut until next year sometime.  Just going it too better myself.  I love riding dirt bikes, but when I get gassed after 20 minutes, not so much.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, High On Octane said:

I do 20-30 minutes of cardio everyday.  Never said I was getting buff already, just mentioned I'm feeling better than I did.  I don't plan on being cut until next year sometime.  Just going it too better myself.  I love riding dirt bikes, but when I get gassed after 20 minutes, not so much.

Maybe look into a heart monitor. If you're getting gassed quickly you should probably cut it back a bit so you can last longer... 

13 minutes ago, Monk said:

Maybe look into a heart monitor. If you're getting gassed quickly you should probably cut it back a bit so you can last longer... 

I haven't ridden since I started working out.  Was wanting to go out tomorrow for awhile.  My problem is I hadn't done any legit exercise in almost 10 years.  I was getting exhausted from being almost 40 and out of shape.  Not to mention I just got back on dirt bikes after 5 years of not riding dirt at all.  

Pretty happy with today's workout tho.  Was doing lower body push day, and really cranked out some good dead lifts.  Did 2 sets of 8 reps at 135 pounds, then did 2 sets of 8 reps at 185 pounds.  Really had to grunt out the last few, but got them all in.  So that felt really good.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:43 PM, High On Octane said:

About a week ago, I decided to start body building.  Came to the conclusion that I wasn't at all happy with that current state of strength and conditioning.  As it would be, my wife started exercising over 2 months ago to lose weight.  She's been doing awesome and lost 20 pounds already!  I got inspiration from her and a guy she follows on YouTube who went from 360 pounds to 180 and ripped AF.  Truth is I've been underweight for my height my entire life (6'1" 170 pounds), so my goal is to put on 15 pounds of muscle and get up to 185-190 where I should be.

Anyway, race is 2 weeks away.  I'll definitely be in better shape by race day.  I also downloaded a macros app which is really helping me track my calories and nutrition.  The app will help me stay on track and make sure I'm getting enough calories, protein and water.  It even has motocross as a form of exercise, so I'll even be able to track burned calories while riding and get notifications if I need more water.

Just be careful and be honest here, adding muscles may meet your aesthetic expectation a bit better, but I highly doubt it's going to make you faster.  Look at all the top pros for ideal body size, relatively thin and light.  Riding a dirtbike FAST is an endurance sport, not a strength sport, unless your picking your bike up a lot...in which case more practice would probably be the best solution.

6-1 @ 170 I'd say your lean and mean and are built like an endurance athelete, go with it and use it to your advantage.  Don't skip gym work, get strong to get strong, not build size.  You'll be packing around less weight and have better endurance than other guys.  Folks pay thousands of $$ to lose 5 lbs from their bikes, you already have an advantage....

• Like 4

That's a great point.  Although, I'm probably not going to be racing.  I enjoy riding but came to the conclusion I'm too old to start racing.  I'm almost 39 and have a few bad habits.  I think I'm just going to stick with recreational riding.

On 9/26/2017 at 2:41 PM, High On Octane said:

That's a great point.  Although, I'm probably not going to be racing.  I enjoy riding but came to the conclusion I'm too old to start racing.  I'm almost 39 and have a few bad habits.  I think I'm just going to stick with recreational riding.

You're not too old to start racing unless you convince yourself of that.