Setting the timing

I have put new valves in and I am ready to start putting it back together but I have a question about setting the timing.  The flywheel is set on T and the cam is horizontal for the compression stroke.  How do I know, or does it matter, if the spark plug is firing?  If the spark plug fires every other rotation then it needs to be on the firing rotation when I set the timing, right?  

52 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Photos and your questions are answered (and many other answers) are readily available for you and many others in a genuine Factory Honda OEM shop manual.

E Bay is your friend for used manuals.

I have a service manual and and there is no mention of this at all.  So that is why I thinking maybe it does not matter.  But I was looking at 4-stroke diagram this morning  and each valve only opens one time in the whole sequence so it has to matter.   If the spark plug fires and the intake opens on the down stroke then it is not going to work. 

44 minutes ago, chadzu said:

It sparks once per rotation, so it doesn't matter because the plug sparks on each.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case too but I could not find any confirmation.  So that helps a lot.  

I am putting my head back on and my service manual is showing a small oil plug next to the camshaft.  Either I lost that plug or it was missing already but now I do not have it.  What does it do and do I need one? I  attached a copy of the page of the service manual and a picture of the head.  

20170812_152641.jpg

20170830_093756.jpg

OK, so it is in there. I was imaging something much bigger that filled up the hole.  Thanks,
(Also that is the tear down picture, it is much cleaner now) 

I certainly hope that it's really a lot cleaner before it's reassembled again.....
  • Like 1