Baja trip in October? Need advice

I am trying to plan a 5 or 6 day trip in October but don't want to get too caught up in pre running for the 1000. How late would we be able to go and not run into people pre running? any help would be appreciated.

Thomas

Where do you plan on going? Why are you going to be riding the course? It usually is not very good riding.

NO plans to ride the actual course but I don't think the course has been released yet. Plan is to stage from San Felipe and head south. Not really too worried about pre riders on the trails we will be on, mostly sticking to single track, more the places we are looking to stay. I know it gets super crowded. Catavina, BOLA, Gonazaga

Ya, that side will be crowded later in Oct. and Nov.  I bet you would be good in early to mid Oct. just a guess though.   Oct. is nice on the Pacific side too. Probably no crowds at all South of Ensenada for several hundred miles.

• Like 1

You guys taking a chase vehicle? If so perfect time of the year to camp. LOL Im not much of a camper. I like soft beds, warm meals and cold beers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ehall said:

You guys taking a chase vehicle? If so perfect time of the year to camp. LOL Im not much of a camper. I like soft beds, warm meals and cold beers.

We have all that and more when we camp with a chase vehicle.  Motel is nice too. 

Rerunning began Oct 13 the last peninsula run in 2014. Based on history only, then prerunning this year should begin no earlier than the 16th of October. 

That said, you won't see a lot of serious prerunning until November.

Edited by soylent_green

Thanks for the info. Not sure if we are running a chase truck this time. Not really interested in camping. I've slept a night in the desert before, not planned, and it was not worthy of a repeat. The plan was to ride the week of Oct 9 to 13th. so it sounds like we should be before prerunning really gets going.

most likely going to be crossing the peninsula a few times between Catvina and BOLA. I don't think we are going much further south than that

19 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Drink the tequila, not the water.

Baja Hooter if you stop drinking the Tequila then you can start riding. JAAA!

• Like 2

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:51 AM, thetinman said:

Thanks for the info. Not sure if we are running a chase truck this time. Not really interested in camping. I've slept a night in the desert before, not planned, and it was not worthy of a repeat. The plan was to ride the week of Oct 9 to 13th. so it sounds like we should be before prerunning really gets going.

How was the trip?

We didn't end up going in Oct. we are going on a trip with Chilly in Jan and probably again in April.