YZ85 Motion Pro Vortex Throttle?

2 hours ago, Swappa said:

Considering a replacement throttle housing for my son's YZ85. Does anyone know if a Motion Pro Vortex or current OEM YZ125/YZ250 can replace the stock housing and tube?

Motion_Pro_Vortex_Throttle_Tube_Kit_UTL0175-ms.jpg

What year is the bike? Looking at a parts scheme it doesn't look like it's anything alike the 125/250s though. 

2 hours ago, djtroy said:

Look into the G2 quick turn throttles I run them on everything I ride.

9 minutes ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

What year is the bike? Looking at a parts scheme it doesn't look like it's anything alike the 125/250s though. 

2007. They are all the same.

I believe I would need a cable and housing. The stock cable has a plastic elbow that fits in the stock housing. The Vortex needs a straight plastic end to the cable.

55 minutes ago, Swappa said:

2007. They are all the same.

I believe I would need a cable and housing. The stock cable has a plastic elbow that fits in the stock housing. The Vortex needs a straight plastic end to the cable.

Yeah looking at the parts scheme it looks like the diffrence is that on the yz 85 the cable is making a turn in the end and you jack it straigh to the throttle tube. On the 125/250 it's a straight cable and there's a plastic wheel inside the housing that the cable is making the turn on instead. So it won't fit with stock cable. 

If you get a cable at the same length with straight end I don't think you'll have any problems though. Or just buy OEM housing since it's cheap, $30. If you decide to get G2 as other people suggest it's about $130 plus the new style cable which doesn't seem worth it to me.

Edited by Christoffer Brandel

3 hours ago, djtroy said:

Look into the G2 quick turn throttles I run them on everything I ride.

23 minutes ago, CaptainKnobby said:

What djtroy said! Get the G2 ergonomics. I have the whole housing on my 2015 yz250 and the tube on my 450 with 3 different cams

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

To anyone that's ridden a small bore 2-stroke less than 125cc, do not buy a quick turn throttle. Appreciate everyone's first hand experience and advice, but if you haven't tested it, don't suggest it. I'd be wasting $$$ and making my son's bike way harder to ride. He's only 9yo and the power is already like a light switch... on or off. C'mon guys.  

To anyone that's ridden a small bore 2-stroke less than 125cc, do not buy a quick turn throttle. Appreciate everyone's first hand experience and advice, but if you haven't tested it, don't suggest it. I'd be wasting $$$ and making my son's bike way harder to ride. He's only 9yo and the power is already like a light switch... on or off. C'mon guys.  

They have different size cams including the stock cam size. If you did get the quick turn throttle and it was to much, just place the stock cam on and all is good. As he progresses then you can replace the cams.

Some of the cams actually tame the power. Like using the .300 cam is for slick conditions like mud or dry slick places with loose stuff. It actually controls the power the first half before it ramps up to the stock size.

The G2 system is really a great way to learn throttle control and also tame that on and off power as you are describing.
  • Like 1