Ok, so I have a crf150f, and was thinking of getting a cr85. What would I be getting and what Would I be loosing. Because I know my crf150f doesn't have very good throttle response at all. I can hardly do a wheelie sitting on the back at a stand still. I am getting into riding on tight trails and hopping logs. Will a cr85 last me as long as a crf150f would? I am 97 lbs, 5.1 tall, and 13 years old. 

• Like 1

Small bore two stroke MX bikes aren't my favorite for riding trails.  Are you trying to power wheelie on your CRF or are you trying to clutch up a wheelie?  

In the larger two strokes it's really nice because you can just blip the throttle to get the front end light or up over an obstacle.  I find on 4-strokes like my 350 XCF-W requires more of a clutch up because even if you are successful at getting the front wheel up with throttle alone you pick up a ton of speed which is the last thing you want.  But with a small bore two stroke it's going to be the same problem or even possibly worse.  You'll probably still have to do a clutch up to get the front wheel over an obstacle and if you aren't up on the pipe even that might not by enough.

At 13 you're probably going to grow like a weed in the next year.  I'd stick with the CRF150F for another year or so until you're 5'6ish and then maybe look for your first full sized bike.  If you like 4-strokes maybe something like a WR250F, CRF250X, etc.. Or if you like two strokes maybe something like a KTM 200 XC-W.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

The last time I rode a YZ80 was in the 1980s. I don't think they had power valves back then and were really peaky.  If I was just cruising along a trail I don't think I could get the front tire up on throttle alone but it was so long ago maybe I'm wrong or maybe the newer YZ85s have a little more grunt down lower.  I had the same problem with my RM125...  It was peaky and the power was way up the rev range.  

But if you've already ridden a YZ85 then I guess I don't understand the question.  It seems like you should be able to make the decision based on owning one and riding the other.

As a side note if you do decide to wait a little bit, have you derestricted the CRF150F according to the Honda service bulletin?  Those bikes are very corked up from the factory.  It's pretty easy to remove the baffle from the muffler, the snorkel from the airbox and re-jet it using a bigger pilot, main and Hondas needle for closed course use.  The bike runs significantly better.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

I might have got off track a little bit due to your concern with lifting the front tire.  If you rode the YZ85 and likes it better, go for it.  It will definitely have a lot more power, much better suspension and brakes.  You should be able to ride it until you are ready for a full size bike which would probably be when you're around 5'6"ish.  I think that's when I got a 125.  It was still pretty tall but I managed.

As far as how long that will be that just depends in your genetics.  Do you have an older brother?  Maybe that will give you some hints as to when you'll be that tall.

Even if that's only a year, as long as you don't overpay for a used YZ85 you should be able to sell it without losing much.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Doc

1 minute ago, Cr's for life said:

What size jets would you recommend?

Have you already pulled your muffler baffle and snorkel?  If not you'll need to do that too.  There is a place that sells everything you need in one kit.  I don't think the mods allow advertising other sites so PM me and I'll send you the info later this afternoon as I'm walking out the door.

Doc

Ya I took off snorkel and took off the baffle once but didn't think I really needed more throttle response but now i want it so I will do it again.

Go with the cr85 you won't be disappointed. If you crack the throttle open on it the front end will come up. I wouldn't go from your 150f straight to a full size too big of a jump imo, 85 is a great stepping stone. but that's just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app

The 150f is physically bigger than an 85. You are still small though so you should be ok for a while. Find a big wheel model which will have the 19 front 16 rear just like the 150f. It would suit you better than the small wheel models.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app