Is my chain too loose?

If it can touch the swingarm ahead of the slipper it is too loose.  Usually you want about 2.5 inches of slack, or a tight three fingers at the end of the chain slipper.

Loose is better than tight but if its excessive it will chew up your swingarm and be more likely to come off while you ride.

2 hours ago, Shantelly said:

I've heard varying things on chains but I keep hearing mine rattling when I'm riding and its freaking me out!

Mine has made scary rattling noises since it was new, even with the chain adjusted per service manual.  First time I heard it I thought it was piston slap.

I was taught to check the chain by leaning over on rear of seat and pulling up on swinger to line up counter shaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle in a straight line. While holding these in a straight line, lift the chain with your finger to see how much play there is. There should be 1/2" to 3/4" of play.

Also check the roller under the bottom of the chain, if it wiggles 20170625_165303.jpga lot, it could cause the chain to rattle. You could try to replace that if it's worn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

I was taught a trick using a 10mm box-end wrench.  Place the box-end on one of the teeth of the rear sprocket, so that the wrench sticks out to the side.  Roll the tire backwards until the wrench is directly over the axle of the rear wheel.  The wheel should not roll any further backwards without some serious (ridiculous) force.  If it does, it's too loose.  If the wrench doesn't get to the point where it is directly over the axle, it's too tight.  Adjust accordingly.

This has worked for us every time and there is no "judgment" needed.  It either is, or isn't, directly above the axle.

Dave

Chain slack/adjusting is tough to explain in print, Williams advice to go to your owners manual for the procedure is probably the best advice. If you don't have one, someone at your local shop would probably have no problem checking the chain slack for a cute girl ;)

16 hours ago, Shantelly said:

I've heard varying things on chains but I keep hearing mine rattling when I'm riding and its freaking me out!

Perfectly good and properly adjusted chain can be really noisy if you are lugging in a gear too high. Varies by bike model too. After you check that everything is right, try downshifting next time you hear chain slap. I'm guessing it will go away.

• Like 1

Put some silicone caulk between the swingarm and chain slider, that can dull a lot of noise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hudson Charlton said:

After all it's the only time you could hear noises like that braaap braaaap braaaaaaap.

Or after a GOOD pot of Ham Hocks and Beans! (Boo, Hisss, No foul smelling jokes!)

Michael

• Like 1

You probably don't do motocross but - slacker for sand/mud, tighter for dry hard pack.