08 450 exc Top end/ Cam chain

I am replacing the piston and rings in 08 450 exc and while its apart will be changing the cam chain. New chain is a genuine KTM so the is no joining link. The tooling that i have is to big to press the pin in and out. Can I change the chain by removing the side case and clutch without splitting the chain. Have not worked on the XC4 engines.

Thanks Dave

• 1 month later...
On 24/08/2017 at 11:27 AM, Trackhazzard said:

I am replacing the piston and rings in 08 450 exc and while its apart will be changing the cam chain. New chain is a genuine KTM so the is no joining link. The tooling that i have is to big to press the pin in and out. Can I change the chain by removing the side case and clutch without splitting the chain. Have not worked on the XC4 engines.

Thanks Dave

I have the same bike and am planning the same work this winter, curious if you are going to update the the cam/kick decompression system as well and wondering which piston kit you will be using, ktm or aftermarket. 

I have 260-270 hrs on my original parts still. 

I wont be changing the cams etc as they are still in good condition. Genuine cam chain and Piston and rings. I bought a piston before stripping down the engine and found the barrel has some light scoring so Im getting it re plated as I can not return the piston/rings as they were ordered in. The piston rings are still within spec at 187 so pretty good wear. Will end up costing around the same. Putting in a ProX rod. The cam chain can be removed by removing the flywheel and the cam  slides.