Turbo charged 250x?

I know it's dumb and retarded but hey, any of you speed junkies think this would work because I have a 25mm turbo laying in my shop and I can weld up some piping real quick!!!! Just a thought?!!

Thanks and no hate please I am just using my imagination

IMG_1801.jpg

• Like 3

I honestly have no idea if this would work but I'm interested to find out. Only problem I foresee is the carb not running right due to the pressure... or the bike blowing up if you got it running. I'm sure someone with more experience will give you more help, but I'm definitely following this.

• Like 1

I would think it would work...adjustments would need to be made certainly.

41 minutes ago, dusty8474 said:

or the bike blowing up if you got it running. I'm sure someone with more experience will give you more help, but I'm definitely following this.

This would be more my concern, especially given that it's sitting between my legs<g>

The existing components are designed to be as minimal as possible and still do the job as designed.  Turbo charging a stock motor would probably not last all that long.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

Yes it can work and yes it has been done to a handful of motorcycles to date. things you need to consider:

Boosted applications do not like high static compression ratios. you'll want to either keep the boost down low in the 5-6psi range, or talk to CP, Wiseco, etc about a custom piston with a taller top ring landing to support the heat and a dished design to reduce CR. 9:1 is a happy start, even a little less would still be optimal. blow through carb design would work, with some adaptations to keep intake charge sealed under pressure. a wideband o2 sensor is a must. Microsquirt and efi would be my choice. Anything is possible, plan in tossing stupid money at it to get it right. 

• Like 4

On 8/24/2017 at 0:35 PM, durafummins said:

I know it's dumb and retarded but hey, any of you speed junkies think this would work because I have a 25mm turbo laying in my shop and I can weld up some piping real quick!!!! Just a thought?!!

Thanks and no hate please I am just using my imagination

IMG_1801.jpg

I would first figure out what advantages there would be and what you want to end up with, would it be a super moto type or just a dual sport type of bike when your done? I dont think a turbo would be helpful for trail riding. These bikes start out with real good low rpm response and power, with a turbo you have the lag that would take away some of low rpm response. You would probably need to constantly be using the clutch, low rpm operation would suffer.

I dont know anyone personally who has tried that but there was a thread a long time ago (several years ago) in one of the yamaha forums that was on going, and that was pretty much step by step showing a turbo install on a 426 or a 450 IIRC. He did get it running but was having trouble with a few things, dont know how it turned out. The bike was starting to look strange with all the welded up intake and exhaust tubing.

• Like 2

I would first figure out what advantages there would be and what you want to end up with, would it be a super moto type or just a dual sport type of bike when your done? I dont think a turbo would be helpful for trail riding. These bikes start out with real good low rpm response and power, with a turbo you have the lag that would take away some of low rpm response. You would probably need to constantly be using the clutch, low rpm operation would suffer.
I dont know anyone personally who has tried that but there was a thread a long time ago (several years ago) in one of the yamaha forums that was on going, and that was pretty much step by step showing a turbo install on a 426 or a 450 IIRC. He did get it running but was having trouble with a few things, dont know how it turned out. The bike was starting to look strange with all the welded up intake and exhaust tubing.

Yes it would be full supermoto with 15tooth front and 25tooth rear sprocket
  • Like 1

I'd say go for it. Granted You'd need to work in an oil supply for the turbo, an intercooler, and make it a pull through turbo, with the air being pulled through the carb, then the fuel air mix being compressed, like old school blower v8s. I'd do it for shits and giggles. But also keep in mind the likelyhood of blowing the top end, and prepare accordingly. Take it to a dyno and see the differences, and stress test it.

17 hours ago, durafummins said:

Yes it would be full supermoto with 15tooth front and 25tooth rear sprocket

Once you got that thing in high gear at full throttle Im sure it would have an incredible top speed but trying to ride it anywhere other than the bonneville salt flats would be difficult I think.