First service question

Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for all the helpful advice I've read on this forum. I just got my motorcycle license 2 weeks ago and bought a 2015 crf250l with 466 miles on it complete with a works connection tac/hr meter, windshield, Wolfman rear bag and a rack to mount it to. It was a great find and I've learned a lot already but I've now already reached 1000mi and its time for its first service (actually at 600 but the dealer said I should be fine till like 1000 when I got it)

I was just wondering if what the consensus is on this first service. Should I bring it back to my dealer and have them check everything or just change the oil In my driveway and wait till 16000 to get the service? 1502941745623.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using ThumperTalk mobile app

Screw the dealer, big waste of money. Valves won't need to be done until you hit 16k.

Change the oil / filter, air filter, check your brake and rad fluid levels, gas er up and ride away.

• Like 1

I bought all the supplies to do my own oil change, they'll be arriving tomorrow/Saturday, but I wasn't sure if the dealer should do the first major service to catch any faults.  Is there anything else thats was needed other than oil & filter change and checking fluids?  Im not clueless with engines and minor tinkering but I'm not very knowledgable and this is my first motorcycle.  I'll try to find the service manual online and see what that has to say.

What is the consensus on chain lube and other needed maintenance supplies?

• Like 1

The manual is a decent place to start.  Obviously an oil change w/filter, but it's also time to make all your adjustments if you haven't already, levers, coolant level, cables, chain slack/ alignment, clean/lube the chain.  Grease the axles and torque them (mine were dry), check for play in the head bearings, Nothing all that complicated.  Mine came with the throttle wayyyy loose, clutch a little loose, and rear brake lever high with the switch adjusted low.  I spend a lot of time on chain maintenance, had one break years ago, bust up a side cover, and leave me stranded.  Keeping a sealed chain clean, especially one used offroad will keep the o-rings intact, keep the grease where it should be, and will keep the chain in good shape for a long time.  With a grunge brush and karo or cleaner, it can be a job that just takes a couple minutes, I'll do it about every 1K miles, or if I run offroad.  Chain lube on a sealed chain doesn't do much, primarily fights corrosion, and attracts dirt, so a thin coat of chain wax is all I do, any "wet" lube will cake up with dirt, and this is good enough to bead up water.

Edited by alucard0822

58 minutes ago, FFChusky said:

What is the consensus on chain lube and other needed maintenance supplies?

Everyone will have their own opinion on chain lube, mine preference is Motul. I ride mostly off road and this lube does not hold onto any dirt.

index.jpg.6b97b55e7c96b1a8b88b409c5e978bd2.jpg

1 minute ago, alucard0822 said:

Grease the axles and torque them (mine were dry).

^^^ THIS! Totally forgot about that, mine were bone dry too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kompact said:

Everyone will have their own opinion on chain lube, mine preference is Motul. I ride mostly off road and this lube does not hold onto any dirt.

index.jpg.6b97b55e7c96b1a8b88b409c5e978bd2.jpg

^^^ THIS! Totally forgot about that, mine were bone dry too.

I"ve had good luck with the same stuff, water still beads up months after lubing the chain, but it feels practically dry.  Most things don't need a ton of grease, but Honda is very sparing on it from the factory.  Axles, spacers, shock linkage pivots, swing arm pivots, even the head bearings were practically dry, they don't need to slather it on, but come on, I'm sure a little grease won't break the bank.

• Like 1

...and take apart the lower shock mount and linkage- lube everything.  I would also do the swing arm bolt and bearings. Honda doesn't "extra" lube this stuff. Only what is in the bearings themselves from the manufacturer. Just like the rear axle as others have advised. Steering head also at some point. 

Then ride it.

• Like 1