Cam tensioner rode on chain, not on guide

The blithering idiot that put the XR600 gasket into my nephew' XR650L also got the tensioner all wrong.

During re-assembly today we found the tensioner had been riding against the chain, not on the guide.

Now we wait for parts again.  Joy.  

(pics soon)

IMG_5364[1].JPG

IMG_5365[1].JPG

IMG_5373[1].JPG

Edited by exdirtbiker

The guides look very good to me. (very hard to get good pic)

I'm temped to say they were new when the bore job got done.

Someone please tell I do not have to take the motor apart again ?? !!!   PLEASE ???

Edited by exdirtbiker

So Im taking it there wasn't the guide? If there wasnt or if it wasn't bolted, youre going to have to take right cover off and bolt it. Slide it in though the head with cover off. Which is off to get to the tensioner. 

How did this sound? Ive seen a motor without the other guide in, but not the one on the tensioners side. 

The guide is there... he just got the tensioner arm in front of the guide, so it rode directly on chain.

Buying new tensioner, and clutch cover gasket, and see what other horrors await us.

• Like 1

:facepalm:  some people couldn`t change their toilet paper roll when it runs out..

if he did that,,,i hope you checked everything over,,i mean everything...did he install the oil pump on backwards:lol:

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 2

So... I found a few scaries in the oil strainer on the downtube, as expected. ( shavings from the tensioner) ( no pictures :banghead:  )

The screen inside the engine had nothing to talk about.

I'm worried about how the bits got up there... they had to go through the pump, right?  I guess I should inspect that oil pump while the motor is apart ???

And ..... I found I forgot to put the -bleeping- front cam chain guide in before the head got torqued.  Another new head gasket on order, along with the tensioner.