Cr80 kickstart help

So my kickstart will return fine when the case cover is off, as soon as I torque it down the kickstart doesn't return. I kick it down then have to pull it back up with my hand. I have no idea why it does this I have the preload wound probably a turn and a half but it still won't return. It must be binding on something inside the case but I don't know what.

More back story info please....why did you remove the cover? What did you change/replace requiring you to take it off? Clutch work, replacing seals etc.... ?? May help point to the new binding issue. Someone recently replaced the kickstart shaft seal and had issues with the lever not returning....just an initial thought.

More back story info please....why did you remove the cover? What did you change/replace requiring you to take it off? Clutch work, replacing seals etc.... ?? May help point to the new binding issue. Someone recently replaced the kickstart shaft seal and had issues with the lever not returning....just an initial thought.

Replaced clutch plates. If I loosen the 4 bolts closest to the kickstart shaft the kickstart works fine