"...has tons of compression!" in ads

Is anyone else turned off when you read this in a CL Ad?

Either it has good compression or it doesn't. Unless you put up specific numbers from a compression test...it just sounds like a catchphrase that a used car salesman would say.

Meh...

How about the one I saw today " air filter cleaned every 3 rides"

It means the bike may have a chance :ride: or they don't know what good compression even is . I raced a brand-new cr500 for one summer back in 96'. That sucker put holes in bottom of my boot lol I'd be more banged up from trying to start that thing lol and I'm 6'220 . Was 190 then tho :devil:

Edited by Motox367

Even compression numbers are meaningless unless compared to compression of a fresh motor.

Tons of compression means multiple of 2,000 PSI, which I doubt. A 4S with a bent valve 'feels like' it has tons of compression as well.

'Never raced' = Thoroughly abused by a guy who could not ride or maintain a bike. You really gotta love it when the pictures show a bike with numbers......

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Tons of compression means multiple of 2,000 PSI, which I doubt. A 4S with a bent valve 'feels like' it has tons of compression as well.

'Never raced' = Thoroughly abused by a guy who could not ride or maintain a bike. You really gotta love it when the pictures show a bike with numbers......

A whole lot of dorks put numbers on their bikes and don't race.  I always wondered why. :thinking:

" new top end". Why would you bother spending the money and time to replace the top end and not ride the bike. Either they are lying or found some other catastrophe problem like a toasted bottom end. 

38 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

A whole lot of dorks put numbers on their bikes and don't race.  I always wondered why. :thinking:

And i raced my whole first year on one roll of electric tape for numbers :ride: no joke

1 minute ago, Motox367 said:

And i raced my whole first year on one roll of electric tape for numbers :ride: no joke

Been there and done that.  The rules didn't say that the numbers had to be stylish!

17 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Rockin the e-tape right now. It's just a big "E" on my plates since I'm just in evaluations. After I pass my next eval...I will probably spring for the real deal.

I am just happy if the year is right .. just cuz you got that 2001 bike in 2007 doesn't mean it is a 2007.

"Only ridden on Trails"

"Spent 1000's on the Motor"

"I'll Give You $$$$ Cash Right Now" - love this one - how else were they going to pay for it ?

1 hour ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

" new top end". Why would you bother spending the money and time to replace the top end and not ride the bike. Either they are lying or found some other catastrophe problem like a toasted bottom end. 

Depends on what it is on.  On a 2t the top end is so simple that it may be a good idea to freshen it up to make the bike more sellable.  Spend a few dollars here to make more dollars there.

The one I'll use when I sell my YZ, "bring your right boot if you want to hear it run, I ain't gonna start it for you".. :thumbsup:

Or how about "Fast!!!" when really it's a clapped out 250 lol

So...I have a bike for sale. What should I put as the listing?

2009 Husqvarna wr250 

#1 first question...what is the amount you will take? :rant:

The typical questions in my experience are.

how many hours are on it? (It doesn't have an hour meter)

does it have good compression?

when did it have a top end done?

does it have electric start?

Edited by Charles De Mar

I saw one, where the guy rebuilt the whole bike and decided to sell it as the year he rebuilt it in.

In other words, he was selling a 1999 KX125 as a 2016 KX125 because the "whole bike has been fully redone".

How about the one I saw today " air filter cleaned every 3 rides"

Believe it or not, I saw a guy that says he changed the oil every 30 minutes

Wannabe factory racers. I saw some guys on brand new ktms with race graphic kits and full jersey and pants. One of them thought their bike blew up when he tried to start it in 1st...
2 hours ago, ryan_cin said:

Believe it or not, I saw a guy that says he changed the oil every 30 minutes

Does it mean after every moto, with his full race motor, supplied by Geico/Honda?

I could see his reasoning, it's a ticking time bomb.