Street coolant

Hey all, I'm getting ready to install my red silicone hoses. What coolant should I run for all street use? Thx in advance, Ken

1 minute ago, Ondastreet said:

How much coolant do I need to get? 2009 SM

I forget, but get you a half gal, you'll be able to spill a bit and still have some left over when you're done. Also get some distilled water for a flush before adding your new coolant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

I forget, but get you a half gal, you'll be able to spill a bit and still have some left over when you're done. Also get some distilled water for a flush before adding your new coolant.

Sounds good, thank you Sirrr!

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Best coolant is like an oil thread. Over the last 25 years I have used Honda HP coolant almost exclusively. In the supply cabinet I currently have Maxima, Yamalube, Honda HP, Engine Ice and Peak long life Premix. Any are acceptable.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I'll see what is available locally, good to have options. Thx guys. 

Anything DexCool approved. mix at 30% and add Water Wetter. Use the money you saved to buy better engine oil. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I see good recommendations for stuff here, but is the coolant to use it exclusively? or a mix with distilled water at some percent? I know with cars, 50/50 mix is the norm, but have no idea with bikes...

I personally like premixed, yes, it isn't the best bang for the buck, but it is the most fool proof....

Coolant choice not as critical as not mixing certain coolants together. If changing to new coolant I would flush system as recommended above to avoid the mixing of coolants that do not work well together.

• Like 2

Use an antifreeze with a glycol content of at least 95 percent and mix with DISTILLED WATER if possible.This must be mixed 50 percent antifreeze and 50 percent distilled water.The Drz400sm takes a total of 1250ml.

• Like 1

Non silicate coolant is the most important issue. Use distilled or R/O water, and follow the directions for temperature protection on the jug. Remember, water conducts heat better than glycol. More glycol = less heat conductivity. Water Wetter improves conductivity, but doesn't protect against corrosion.

• Like 1