Best mods for a stock DRZ400E

Depends on the year. I have a 2007 E model and have modded it to be closer to early years :D. (FCR carb)

Otherwise I installed a fan for cooling down on tight trails and cheap LED bulb/turn signals. Also a tubliss setup. Other things I can't really name as mods. Just repairs and maintenance. 

Best mod is better rider :D. I mean just ride it and enjoy why mod it if it runs ok? :)

Oh, yeah, a small rear fender bag I have also, that's a mod! :)

It depends on type of riding your'e after, I ride it on trails mostly, some DS. It's not the best bike for trails, but it suits me well as my goal is not to be the fastest guy, but to improve my riding.

what are you trying to get out of the bike? there are all sorts of mods.... what is your budget?

I will be rebuilding my own motor soon, and will be going with a big bore and a stroker crank.... it will cost about $1k

Removing the air box snorkel, richen the jetting and un-corking the exhaust tip wakes the motor up quite a bit, and is also very inexpensive to do

Make sure the suspension is sprung for your weight and have the valving tuned for the terrain you like to ride. Most cost effective mod I did on my S to go faster off road.

• Like 1

I have a 2000 plated E that Eddie Sisneros set up for me just before he went 'away'. It has a 434 big bore, Ron Hamp values and springs, new FCR -39, a set of Nova Wide Ratio Gears and he set the suspension up for my weight. Then we moved and the bike went into storage and has been there since 2011. This summer I am getting it ready to be a light weight adventure tourer and instead of loading it up with camping gear etc., I added a moto-mule trailer. Hopefully I should have it on the road next week.  

The problem is that this bike, once I unplugged the pilot jet on the FCR seems to be running great,  however since I want to be able to support the bike myself on the road, I want to learn how to take every last nut and bolt apart on a DRZ-E. However, instead of taking a perfectly running bike apart, I have another green sticker 2001 E coming next month. I will call it Lab Rat 1.  This is the bike I can pull apart, install some ACT gears. play with the suspension and otherwise get comfortable with the inter workings of a 400 E.. so it should be fun and educational.  I will want to set this bike up for green sticker area riding in the SoCal area, so any suggestions for setting up an E for a 6'6" 280lb 66yo rider would be deeply appreciated.

I did buy Race Tech's  suspension book but I could use a good DRZ engine overhaul manual.  Any recommendations? I would also like to get a list of the special tools I would need to split the cases, overhaul the FCR etc.

TIA

Randy from Wrightwood