What's a CRF 450 X like in the woods?

To our annual trail riding trip to Marquette Michigan, I thinking about bringing a 04 Honda crf 450x instead of my 125 as we come acrossed some obstacles that my 125 struggles with form time to time. call me crazy, but love to try new things! I love the way the bike handles in the woods, but I think I might be getting in over my head bashing through tight single track trails on a 450. Does anyone use a 450 for a woods bike and like it? Is it too much for you? Likes and don't likes? Looking for what to expect any feed back is appriciated!

• Like 1

450x has enough power. But damn is it heavy. Soon as you stop the weight overcomes and it either wants to take me with it or I just let it fall. I can't ever save the damn bike. 

• Like 2

Till recently I had an 09 X and loved it. Then I rode a newer 250/300 KTM 2 strokes. Oh man. I ruined my own very good bike. It is a heavy pig. It doesn't turn as well as other bikes. Its weight makes balance or line mistakes much more amplified compared to light bikes. BUT. Its a tractor. More power than most bikes. So since you ride a 125 you know how to clutch. I would recommend you bring the X and not look back. I'd much rather ride a pig in the forest than a 125. 

• Like 1

Till recently I had an 09 X and loved it. Then I rode a newer 250/300 KTM 2 strokes. Oh man. I ruined my own very good bike. It is a heavy pig. It doesn't turn as well as other bikes. Its weight makes balance or line mistakes much more amplified compared to light bikes. BUT. Its a tractor. More power than most bikes. So since you ride a 125 you know how to clutch. I would recommend you bring the X and not look back. I'd much rather ride a pig in the forest than a 125. 

Glad to hear you have good things to say, looking forward to lugging the mighty X. My only concern is the weight, which is obviously a given but you'll have thay. I love the yz in the woods, light, agile, but the suspension and power delivery are a little on the less enjoyable side at times. Thanks for the feedback!

I've been trail riding a 450x in Colorado for years, best trail bike ever made in my opinion, Im not a real ktm fan, I owned a 525 exc for a year, it never really fit me like my Honda.

• Like 5

I have been riding my 08 450x for years in the woods and I love it. It wouldn't be a great choice if you are racing, but for just general trail riding it fits the bill just fine.

It will wear you out if you are riding hard for several hours but any 450 will. I have a rekluse on mine and it makes longer rides much less tiring. 

• Like 3

Woods riding is pretty much the only thing I do with my X. Sure I'm tired at the end of the day but it is so worth it. No obstacle will stop it and it's still got enough power to zip through the trees and give you a smile. I love it! Weight has never been a big factor for me cause the power just delivers. Even with an oversized tank mine handles and feels fantastic. Love my X!

• Like 2

I still use my old trusty xr250r in really nasty tight single-track but the 450X is a great choice. The 450x still feels light as a feather to me as I grew up on xr500 and xr600's

I went from a XR650L to a 450X, trust me, the bike feels real lite to me!

• Like 3

Never had to pick one up, because mine's never been on the ground:rolleyes:

I generally ride a loop of about 45 miles on the back wheel, 20 in the front. These are terrific trail bikes.

• Like 5

funny!  I bought my 450x to be my light bike!  geared it appropriately but I'm a big boy so......  As far as open trail Ii still prefer the top ed of my old XR600r.  Sometimes I just need more cowbell.

• Like 2

Loved riding my 450x in the woods and as soon as I get the jetting completely sorted out it will be fantastic. Only have had the bike for about a month and been real busy. The one time I got to take it out in heavy woods in Louisiana I dropped it a few times because the jetting was so screwed up. But when I wasn't stalling I was grinning. I don't blame the bike I blame the owner and shop that sold it to me and the EPA that inflicted that goofy jetting on us both. Yea it is heavy but so what? I am 61 and it was REAL muddy...the only time I really groaned was when I screwed up going up a pretty steep hill covered in snot and roots...that's when I really appreciated pushing a button to start it. Never gonna have a bike without a button now. 

Heavy , well  that is debatable. Yes , heavy as a modern-ish dirt bike goes. Light compared to real factory dual sports. I agree with everyone, the 450X is a powerful MC, quick, fast, torque , wheelie power ( fast or slow) .  Also pretty decent on fuel economy.

There is no perfect bike for everyone and everything.   I have ridden mine for 10 years now, but only about 1500 miles according to my trailtech. The things I do not like; no 6th gear , not factory street legal ( mine is tagged now) , only a 110 size rear tire will fit on the rear, no factory speedo/hours meter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ghostrider7811 said:

Heavy , well  that is debatable. Yes , heavy as a modern-ish dirt bike goes. Light compared to real factory dual sports. I agree with everyone, the 450X is a powerful MC, quick, fast, torque , wheelie power ( fast or slow) .  Also pretty decent on fuel economy.

There is no perfect bike for everyone and everything.   I have ridden mine for 10 years now, but only about 1500 miles according to my trailtech. The things I do not like; no 6th gear , not factory street legal ( mine is tagged now) , only a 110 size rear tire will fit on the rear, no factory speedo/hours meter.

I have a 120 rear tire on my 450x. And what bike does come with a factory speedo/hour meter that's made for the dirt? And not factory street legal? This isn't a dual sport built bike it's a dirt bike with e start... and a wide ratio transmission. Just pointing those out. 

2 hours ago, Brad04 said:

I have a 120 rear tire on my 450x. And what bike does come with a factory speedo/hour meter that's made for the dirt? And not factory street legal? This isn't a dual sport built bike it's a dirt bike with e start... and a wide ratio transmission. Just pointing those out. 

Well I think the Australian CRF450x's come with a digital tach and speedometer. Gonna see if I can buy one. 

3 hours ago, ghostrider7811 said:

heh...Well I meant heavy in a good way. 

20 hours ago, Brad04 said:

I have tried several 120 rears, they all hit the chain or air box flap. Maybe I should keep looking , different brands/models could vary. Yes not factory street legal. I hate pavement, but I enjoy connecting the trails and you are limited to private property or OHV areas if you are not tagged. Yes you are correct , not a dual sport , but I need the tag. My 2005 KTM 525exc , it came with a great speedo hour meter , it this was a year or 2 before they were street legal.  

• Like 1

Not a good woods bike, ever. Unless you are 240 and have 2 guys with you its just too heavy for downed trees. 

Great trail/dessert bike, shit bike for gnarly tight stuff with obstacles. Go 2 stroke.