Washington Rider Headed For Elsinore GP, Any Tips ?

Gonna head down to the race with a couple of buddies. Wondering if you guys have tire recommendations  or any other tips  you think would benefit a first time Elsinore racer from out of town? Lodging, pitting, race prep, what classes I should ride? My "stats" below. Thanks in advance!

45y/o

YZ250X

Race Senior B Class Hare Scrambles & Enduros locally a few times a year.

Just race your normal class, unless you want to ride down a level for less pressure. 

I'm planning on racing as well if I can break away from building my shop..

• Like 1

Any other locals gonna race in this? Its been a while since I've lined up, or even ridden a dirtbike for that matter. 

50 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Is that the new thing...  filling tire with water ?

I know some guys do that on tractor tires.

Helps with traction, I use heavy water instead, just kinda hard to find.

3 minutes ago, Speed-Freek said:

Any other locals gonna race in this? Its been a while since I've lined up, or even ridden a dirtbike for that matter. 

I have to check the D38/D37 schedule but right now planning on doing a couple moto's, might even break out some vintage equipment. I'll be slow as haven't really raced this year. Just starting to get in shape for 2018 and starting to grab more seat time. Rebuilding the 300 but the 450 and 600 always down for a run.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Diamond-Dave said:

I have to check the D38/D37 schedule but right now planning on doing a couple moto's, might even break out some vintage equipment. I'll be slow as haven't really raced this year. Just starting to get in shape for 2018 and starting to grab more seat time. Rebuilding the 300 but the 450 and 600 always down for a run.

Sounds good David! I need to break away for some seat time myself, the KX is still in pieces from the last race. I think I've ridden 1 or 2x since February! Been a dry year for me on the dirtbike, and now with the new house and building my shop its about to get a lot busier. 

However I must ride! Shoot me a call or text when you think you are gonna go ride, Im slow too, havent ridden much so Im out of riding shape for sure! And Ill do the same, was planning on going to Pala this week but didnt know it was going to be 300 degrees this week!

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 8:44 PM, dirtbikesonny said:

Gonna head down to the race with a couple of buddies. Wondering if you guys have tire recommendations  or any other tips  you think would benefit a first time Elsinore racer from out of town? Lodging, pitting, race prep, what classes I should ride? My "stats" below. Thanks in advance!

DBSonny,

Left you a post on the Washington thread... As far as tires go I would just run what you are using in your HS races, this is not a regular course so no reason to play with tires, run what you are use too. Maxxis Des IT's also work fine in that area. If you are not running mousse or tubeless set up then run an ultra-heavy tubes, run it a little heavier on air pressure say 16-17 lbs. There is a bit of garbage here and there and less likely to get DNF'd from a flat. You'll give up handling in the silt and some of the MX areas but you'll be fine. You will find quite a few sandbaggers since they all want trophies so many race a skill below. So running 40+ B or C should work for you.

As far as places to stay there are quite a few hotels around the track area but a nicer area south about 15 minutes is Temecula or Murrieta and some of the hotels you can get your bikes right next to the room door backed in. Otherwise I know there will be camp sites if you are coming in RV or trailer. The promoter tries to get these camp sites fenced off so random people just don't roam around shopping. Give a shout anytime, been doing Elsinore GP's since 96 and saw them in the 70's as a kid. Also a local AMA Congressman and District Steward so I can help point you in the right direction.

Edited by Diamond-Dave
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Speed-Freek said:

was planning on going to Pala this week but didnt know it was going to be 300 degrees this week!

Jason, I hear you on the temps this week/weekend... I want to keep my 300 build going, just got the motor back from Chris B. but need to send frame out for powdercoat so paused for a while for paint and bearings. I was kicking around the idea of a Friday-Sunday Kennedy Meadows trip so I'm home before the holiday traffic Monday but not sure yet since it would be more of a visit then a ride trip. Dad is camping up there for the next 3 weeks since quail season opens up. I'll let you know, I'll start hitting the track more after this short heat wave. Cahuilla on Wednesdays are always good too. Morning moto, out as it warms up then I work from home the rest the afternoon.

• Like 2

I was going to race this as well.  I was all excited that they were going "Back to the streets" and everything.  However, I just found out that my daughter has a Cheer Competition on Saturday, the day that I would be doing the majority of my races.  I may try to hit it on Sunday as I think there is one class that I'm eligible for, but IDK...

Dave

• Like 1

Expect traffic, lots of traffic. There is a little over 20 million people living with in a 100 mile radius of Lake Elsinore, thats 3 time the population of Washington. There is also a half a dozen great MX tracks an hour away. Have fun, stay off I-5

On 8/29/2017 at 9:12 AM, Speed-Freek said:

Helps with traction, I use heavy water instead, just kinda hard to find.

Brine water, let me know if you need some help getting it. I'm sure I could get some 9.8#+

• Like 2