how did this piece break?

just rebuilt my rear linkage.  went on a few rides.

had the bike on its side and I noticed this.... wtf?  how does this happen?    of course I break a $50 bolt.  I recently had my chain come off around a berm.. nothing crazy or violent, I wasnt on the throttle. I stopped right away.  could that have done it?

while im on the subject of linkages... ive been super hard on mine lately.  practicing lots of log and rock hopping. does anyone ever here run linkage guards? ive got buddies that have broken them before.  and yes, I know my chain is rough.

part number 3:  http://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/a/ktm/524b9d1af8700231ac49aa41/pro-lever-linking

IMG_2679.jpg

Edited by cdf450

I would have to say the chain coming off didn't help matters. Not sure what else could do it, maybe a freakishly unlucky spot on a lot, but me thinks chain derailment.

• Like 1

Not only is the chain in rough condition, it's looks to be way too loose too. In that picture, it's touching the cross frame member. You had better check to see that it's not sawing that frame member.

It's definitely a clean shear on that bolt tho.

Yeah i checked. It's not sawing that frame piece thank god. Good catch. And I don't think it's crazy loose. I'll double check later. I think it's my rear sprocket wearing down could be making it loose/look loose

Tbh I'm waiting for my sprockets to get real rough, then I'm gonna replace all sprockets, chain, and chain guide all at once.

I measured my chain and it has not stretched. It's just dirty and the one side is worn down due to a bent chain guide... This bikes hard on the bank account. BUT, I'm hard on the bike so...