First time build ssr sr170tr front break caliper issues, please send help

Decided to try and put together a new ssr sr170tr today with zero experience.

(Skip to the end if you want the issue in a nutshell)

Everything went well until I attempted to put on the front tire and realize it wont fit into the front break caliper. I started to squeeze the front break lever to see if i could see the break pads open and close, and they looked already closed. Thats when youtube showed me theres plastic shoved into there, so in my attempt to pull out the plastic it had snapped between the break pads. I began to unscrew two screws that hold the break pads into place. Break pads fell out along with the plastic. I figured success. Then i screwed the break pads back into the caliper and put the tire back on which then i noticed the break pads are still closed. So i removed the tire again along with the break pads and began pumping the front break lever which showed the calipers will push out with every pump but dont go back in - forcing the breakpads to be closed...

-so my question is did i break anything? Is there a way to reset/release the front break caliper so i can screw in the break pads and have room for my wheel? Confused why it only tightens with each pump and doesnt release. 

Thank you for your time 

The rotor is what pushes the pads apart after using the brakes, keeps the pads close to the rotor. 

You need to spread the pads apart and stop squeezing the lever with the wheel removed. Best case scenario you have to push the pads apart, worse case scenario, you push the pistons out and have to put them back and rebleed. 

What you want to do is remove the pads, push the pistons back slowly, with your hand, a c clamp and an old pad, or something similar, being careful not to damage anything. Then reinstall the pads and install the wheel and rotor. At no point should you squeeze the lever, especially when the pads are removed, until everything is assembled. This is just standard practice for hydraulic brakes. 

And you should probably hop down to the Chinese or pit bike section, you'll likely need more help along the way. 

• Like 2

I ended up pushing the pads apart with my hands and put the front wheel on with out any issues - Thank you for help SDet! Glad it wasn't a difficult fix