2001 Wr250F hates water

Hey folks, I am looking to splash proof my bike. Right now, it has a hard time getting through a puddle at 10 mph.  Sputters and almost dies.   I have the airbox snorkel removed, but the water is nowhere near the seat, barely gets my legs wet.  My sons TTR-110 goes through more water.  I have a quad that I waterproofed, so I guess I'm looking for suggestions on where to start, and not sure what is getting wet so far down on the motor.

Check ground wires, kill switch at the bars.  You're looking for rust, or rotted covers that keep water/dirt out, or rust prevents a good connection.  Could need kill switch replaced.  

If memory serves, 01 use coil and high tension lead (not coil on plug like newer bikes use).  Most likely to look for are: loose connections, bolts, then bad high tension lead from coil, bad ground on the coil, bad spark plug connector at high tension lead, or possibly a leaky manifold.  Spray WD40 or something on the intake manifold with the engine running to see if the engine speed changes.  If so, you can try to seal it with plastic dip or bed liner, but best to replace it.  I'll bet when you hit the bump, that's what triggers the stumble, not water related.

Edited by ronbuell

Thanks for the reply Ron.

Bumps do not matter as the bike runs great. I will check all that I can on it like you have mentioned.  I came across a thread someplace talking about some carb vent lines being moved up from underneath the bike.  Have you heard of this?  It really seems like minor splashes give it trouble though, so that's what makes me feel its electrical. I will have a look at it tonight as I just serviced my kids TTR 110E.  Had to get all the muskeg and sand off of it lol. Thanks again for the help.

I would also check the harness coming from the stator to the CDI. It's in a tight location and can possibly get rubbed through or even get heat damage from the pipe over the years. Clay

• Like 1

^^ what nuity5 said.

Yeah, early in on the run, a lot of people were suggesting running the YZ carb vents up to the airbox.  It works, to an extent.  I have done that on any of my WRs though.... 03 04 05 250fs and 06 450F.

Another suggestion: you may have water in your gas tank sump.  Suggest you pull the tank, turn it upside down and drain it all and start with fresh.  Might also pull the carb and check it.

Tank is cleaner than clean, only run Shell premium/no ethanol and with fuel stabilizer in it . Thanks though, appreciate all the replies so far. I better plug in the laptop to go over my notes and the manual first thing in the am. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Ron.
Bumps do not matter as the bike runs great. I will check all that I can on it like you have mentioned.  I came across a thread someplace talking about some carb vent lines being moved up from underneath the bike.  Have you heard of this?  It really seems like minor splashes give it trouble though, so that's what makes me feel its electrical. I will have a look at it tonight as I just serviced my kids TTR 110E.  Had to get all the muskeg and sand off of it lol. Thanks again for the help.

Yes, I do this. When in deep water, submerged vent lines do not allow carb to draw fuel (like putting your thumb on top of a straw, it holds the water from flowing.) I take pet store aquarium line and run the vent lines up into the airbox, this ends bogging and dying when accelerating through deep water.

3 hours ago, Husa your Daddy? said:

Yes, I do this. When in deep water, submerged vent lines do not allow carb to draw fuel (like putting your thumb on top of a straw, it holds the water from flowing.) I take pet store aquarium line and run the vent lines up into the airbox, this ends bogging and dying when accelerating through deep water.

So it looks like the lines that cross over left to right are the ones to move up? 

So it looks like the lines that cross over left to right are the ones to move up? 

Watch this video, at about 2 min and 30 sec in the video it explains what to do.

I did that, then removed it.  It made my bike real jerky.  In my case, my Wr has lots of snap already.  Maybe the full Ti Akrapovic helps, not sure.