Got my eye on an 87' XL600

What about the dual carbs? Are they a constant fix? Bike has 8K miles, anything else I need to know? I don't need it but I think they're good looking bikes and I like old stuff if it runs.

My original-owner '83 XL600R's (11,600 miles) carburetors have never been removed or had their bowls removed and everything works like new.  It seems to me that it is carburetors that have been fiddled with that cause troubles.  At any rate, you can buy the parts to restore the carburetors to stock and the work isn't especially hard and you can find detailed descriptions here and on advrider and here's 'ol D-Ray showing you how to do it. https://youtu.be/lOCDfy46mbU So not enough of an issue to rule out a buy.

Well, that sounds good, I imagine a lot of the probs I have read about are from letting them sit with gas in the float bowl. Can you still get electrical parts if needed?

How many miles is to many? I'm thinking they should run 25-30K if maintained

Bought from original owner @ 8700 miles, he put a tank saver on when he bought it new saving the paint for me :thumbsup: could use new plastic to match the looks of the tank and a little tlc, engine sounds good, shifts good, has suspension and other upgrades.

XL600 005.JPG

XL600 004.JPG

XL600 003.JPG

XL600 002.JPG

• Like 2

I bought a 1983 XL600R July 5th 1983 from San Clemente Honda. I can remember the time like yesterday, I could have picked it up on the 3rd, however, knowing I would be having "to much fun" on the 4th it was not a good idea. I sat on 7 XL600R's in the show room and the salesmen could not figure out why it was taking me so long to pick one out, but it did, and I kept going back to one. (Oh that engine whistle sound of a stock one!) I named the XL "Gandolf". About one week later and one block from home, leaving a stop sign, it stopped running. It was a faulty cdi. That was the only time "Gandolf" let me down. I put a polished aluminum Super Trapp and drilled 5 one holes in the air box cover and did not re jet. The carbs never came off. He went with me to Hawaii in 85' when I joined the Coast Guard, and while there I entered a 100 mile road race that was set up at the Aloha Drag Strip. after a practice session, some riders complained I was dangerous sliding into the hairpin turn after the 1/4 mile straight shifting from 5th to 3rd. Mind you, I had to safety wire the brake caliber and oil filter and drain plug. When I arrived at the track I removed the blinkers and lights. I already had street tires and I dropped my forks one inch and one up on the counter shaft sprocket. I finished 4th over all and gave a Suzuki Gama rider a real run for 3rd, but he got me and kept me off the podium. I could write a book about my adventures on "Gandolf", he came back to California with me and I rode him until 1997 when I sold him for $1500. with over 37,000 miles of wheelies, compression sliding into turns and some of the best times ever on a motorcycle. I did get a bit teary when the guy rode off with a big smile n his face. I have owned three since, but none were like "Gandolf". 

• Like 1