strange noise in fresh build engine

hello guys i finally build myself the 450bb engine.I was so happy when the bike started but i noticed there is a ticking sound

do you guys think its valves, timing chain or something else ??

Videos are almost worthless as they distort and amplify sounds.

I assume this is a new noise and you were familiar with the engine before the rebuild?

My thought is if you suddenly have excessive unexplained valve train noise you may not of installed the chain guides correctly during the rebuild.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

i had the bike before at 434 this sound is new to me. the sound comes from the bottom right side of the engine. its possible to install cam chain guide wrong ?I double checked vavles 0.25 EX 0.10 IN with old hot cams. i uploaded my timming marks also.

bike sounds powerful i gave it a small blip to check the ticking sound damn cant wait to go for a ride

IMG_20170827_021435.jpg

it would bother me .. i'd take a break and get back into it and double check everything before you get out on it, especially down around the 'right bottom' area you hear the tick from ..

• Like 1

It would be so nice to have the stock muffler on it so a person can hear the motor clearly and tell what it exactly sounds like and from where . I can hear a tick but the background noise muffles the little details .

Does it get louder as the rpms go up ?  rev it slowly and steady maybe 1k to 2k above idle , hold it shortly, then chop the throttle . Does it get louder or quieter as the revs drop ?  From what I can tell it does sound a bit like  timing chain or thereabouts . You degree'd the cams with those adjustable gears right ?

Edited by jjktmrider

look guys what i found i fixed that by putting the chain slider into the green spotIMG_20170827_145010.jpg.8a0ef6edaa024b4f7fecefec86504d45.jpg

so i put everything together then started the bike and sound its the same but a bit better
check this video i used my hand to mute the exhaust so you can hear the sound better also i noticed that when i give throttle the sound fades for a second

Boy , you have something that sound loose , seemed to make a quick loud rattle the instant you hit the throttle then quieted down . You may need to start taking stuff off and inspecting as you go . It almost sounds like it's in the middle , did you reset the cam chain tensioner after fixing the guide ?  Take the cam cover off and look for something loose or hitting somewhere .  Did you have the cases split ? That will dictate how far to go . There is a plate behind the clutch that often get put on backward .

Edited by jjktmrider

i only changed cylinder and piston nothing else. i always reset the tensioner and check the chain to be tight i really dont know whats going on there... i checked also the piston for slapping but its good im lost there

can it be water pump ??? i removed the water pump cap yesterday just to check if its okey..

i used a screwdriver tip to touch cylinder head, cylinder and clutch cap and i used the handle as "earphone" to find from where the sound came from
and it was from right bottom end

Edited by Ruben Ruben
  • Like 1

I know in the video it sounded at one point like it was louder down by the water pump but it's hard to say with these videos for sure .  Piston slap or hitting the head would be a lower knock type sound . What I can tell is yours is more tinny or like something hitting sheetmetal or a bracket .

Edited by jjktmrider

On 8/27/2017 at 3:08 PM, Ruben Ruben said:

can it be water pump ??? i removed the water pump cap yesterday just to check if its okey..

i used a screwdriver tip to touch cylinder head, cylinder and clutch cap and i used the handle as "earphone" to find from where the sound came from
and it was from right bottom end

this is an excellent way to get as close to the noise source as possible.  I would continue fishing around w this method and see if you can isolate it more.

thnx dude i will keep trying. the bike pulls so good i can feel the difference between 434 and this 450 build even with 50% throttle its day and night .Also its sounds like a "real" 450.Im so happy cant wait to fix it and go for a ride.I got one question tho is there any problem with my 13:1 compression and the auto decompression from hotcams because i had read something about hotcams but dont remember

I got one question tho is there any problem with my 13:1 compression and the auto decompression from hotcams because i had read something about hotcams but dont remember

What kit did you use?

From what I've read on Suzuki Central, 13.1 requires race fuel with this motor.

The only issue I would say with Hotcams is they are kind of small for your motor. It's going to be really strong from off idle to the mid-range but top end will sign off a little early.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app