Exhaust gurus - opinion on exhaust/muffler

Any opinions on this type of exhaust.  What type of back pressure do I need?   Thinking of a power bomb or similar stainless header with a couple bend that would end up in the muffler pictured.  

IMG_4110.PNG

It'll be loud as hell and won't give any back pressure. Once jetted correctly it'll give good bottom end with it falling flat earlier on top. Just shoving a baffle in that would most likely be TOO restrictive.

You`ll get tired of that muffler in a hurry,,the noise will drive you nuts..geezz,,get a power core4 and at least keep some of your sanity/hearing.

:lol:

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

He cut the core shorter than the outer sleeve , THAT'S WHY it blew out the packing.   :facepalm:    :lame:

was it to save weight....maybe I should hack up my perfectly good pipe and see if it goes faster.....hold on,,i gotta go find my hacksaw,,be right back..

B

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

He cut the core shorter than the outer sleeve , THAT'S WHY it blew out the packing.   :facepalm:     Actually i cut them the same length but wasnt thinking about the tip that extends a further inch or so. I know why it all happened. Shit happens when you work 17hrs and don't sleep, then have a good idea. Also at the end of that shift my throttle cable broke a mile from my house lol. Wasnt a good day at all. Win some loose some I guess, but it is all good. Cut can looks good though, sound is a little sharp for most. Haha  

Edited by Vanillagurilla

This case is more for the looks - just didn't want to LOSE anything by going with that exhaust.  I'm new to the big thumper game.

It's not about back pressure, it's about velocity. That muffler on the stock header would work fairly well, open up the top end just a touch without losing bottom end but will still be loud. Headers is where you start really messing with what range your power is in. An aftermarket header like the fmf or xr's only will boost the top end and mid range quite a bit if you have supporting mods like a carb or a cam, opened up intake and things like that. More in more out. 

On my 94 xr 600 we rebuilt the engine with first oversize and flowed the head. Ran it for a while with standard pipes and the head job made a good difference. Then put a fmf t4 on the back with more noticable gain. Then the fmf powerbomb header went on with more improvement, and now a 38 fcr mikuni on it and she boogies